What would you expect from a shooting class??

406precision

With our spring classes filling up I thought I would take a minute and ask

What would you expect from a long range shooting class?

We have a pretty solid curriculum but we are always looking for ways to improve our instruction and enhance the experiance of our shooters.

Any thoughts or ideas ???

Right now a few of the things one can expect from our classes are

Rifle set-up and zeroing
Instruction on proper shooting techniques
How to set up and effectively use a chrony
Gathering and evaluating enviromental data
Creating drop charts
field verifying drops
cold bore drills
field shooting exercises
Learning and accepting your MER (maximum effective range )

just to name a few

obviously the basics like trigger
a proper rest (how to use one and where on the stock to put it)
proper parallax adjustment
Mirrage and vegetation used with a wind meter
verifying drops
incline and decline
effects of heat and cold
effects of elevation change
ballistics programs and how to use them
coreallis (or however you spell it)
I dont remember what all was on your list but those are a few things that I find important.... maybe using reticle for hold over and wind and dialing for both.
use of a spotter
how to make corrections if you spot your own mis..or using your spotter
Lots of possibilities, but sounds like you have a pretty solid class from what you listed.
When and where is your class and whats the class I wouldnt mind sitting in on 1 sometime

Don't know if you cover it in another area but maybe reloading information such as bullets, brass, powder ETC. Other than that I think you have most of the things covered.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming !

Our goal is to continue evolving with the sport so we are always tweaking our class and any input from other shooters is always welcomed.

To add emphasis to what Mike said.

How to be an effective spotter, that's gotta be covered. Proper technique should increase your ability as a shooter as well.

t

We make it a point to pair our shooters in a shooter and spotter roll in order for them to learn that long range shooting and hunting is really a team effort and that an effective spotter is as important as the shooter.

We are really lucky to be using targetcam systems in our classes this year the possibilities of these systems in a teaching enviroment are endless and they offer the rest of the class the ability to see the hits on steel as they happen. The cameras along with a vortex razor hd 20-60x85 spotter with the 30x moa reticle make measuring and seeing hits on steel very nice!

We make it a point to pair our shooters in a shooter and spotter roll in order for them to learn that long range shooting and hunting is really a team effort and that an effective spotter is as important as the shooter.

We are really lucky to be using targetcam systems in our classes this year the possibilities of these systems in a teaching enviroment are endless and they offer the rest of the class the ability to see the hits on steel as they happen. The cameras along with a vortex razor hd 20-60x85 spotter with the 30x moa reticle make measuring and seeing hits on steel very nice!

I've been wanting a TargetCam system myself :D That sounds like a lot of fun.

Do you put students in situations where improvised shooting positions are necessary?

t

Your private classes intrigue me.

I think with so much equipment out there an opportunity to test drive a variety of rifle set ups, and optics, would be fantastic.

I think you'd really dig the target cam :D we got ours with the idea of using it for load development and confirming drops but we are constantly finding other uses for it and the ability to see shots on paper at over a mile and record the video feed are priceless!

As far as shooting positions we try to mimic real hunting scenerios as close as possible and almost all shooting is done prone off of a bipod or pack and a rear bag..we also have a few targets that students need to shoot from a sititing position off of shooting sticks as well...the goal of this exercise is to get students to realize the importance of the correct shooting position for the kind of shooting they plan on doing and that precision long range shooting requires.

The cool thing about a private class is that we can tailor them directly to the shooters wants and needs. From reloading to advanced shooting etc... we have lots of cool toys to play with! LOL

We have done alot of load work up and charts for people and then had them come out and spend a day or two shooting with us using thier equipment this gives them the ability to see what their equipment is capable of and also learn it's limitations.

We also offer private classes at your location if it is feesable and you the open area to shoot the kind of distances you want to shoot we will bring the equipment and targets to you :D

Come on you know you want a couple of montana rednecks to come visit. LOL

One thing we really try to stress is that it is ok to have fun at a shooting school...alot of people are intimidated by military and police style instruction by the terminology alone not to mention the instructors.

Our goal is to offer a fun and relaxing learning enviroment gun)

Well, the family ranch is more than capable of hosting. I could probably wrangle up a couple of my hunting partners to cough up some $$..

PM me some prices.

t

Come on you know you want a couple of montana rednecks to come visit. LOL

One thing we really try to stress is that it is ok to have fun at a shooting school...alot of people are intimidated by military and police style instruction by the terminology alone not to mention the instructors.

Our goal is to offer a fun and relaxing learning enviroment gun)

Road trips that no one knows how to get ahold of me are more interesting.

I move slow wouldn't want to hold up a class.

I'm definitely putting it in the mix of possibilities.

Do weekdays work for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.