what weight bullet for my 300RUM?

I have a factory rum with some bedding and it loves the 185 vld, shoots better than a quarter MOA, I use Retumbo & 215s. Good luck, you will like the Rum.

I have a 300RUM with a 30" Lilja barrel. I want to know what is the most accurate weight for a polymer tip bullet. I know the heavier you go the higher BC you get, but why are match bullets 168grains? Should I just go with a 165grain ballistic tip?

You didn't mention the twist rate of your barrel. Even if it's a 10 twist, I would go right to the 240SMK and do not look back. I'm shooting that out of a stock 26" 10 twist with 104.5g US869 and I'm right at 3000fps. Getting several loadings on Rem brass. Only thing I do is turn off the high spots on the necks and make sure the flash hole is centered and not blocked. Last group I shot was at 880 yds and it was 3 1/2" and nearly centered on the target. 15MOA come up with a 275 yd zero. Pentrated 1/2 way through a 1/2" thick mild steel plate and pushed out the back 1/8" at 1/2 mile. That's a very hard long range combination to beat. Guys have found that with the 10 twist and the 300RUM they can get away with that bullet because of the 'extra' speed of the RUM spins it fast enough to stabilize it out to about 1500yds even though Sierra calls for a 9 twist. If you have an 8 or 9 twist that stabilizes the 265g RBBT Wildcat, work with that (prob. want some WC872) and don't look back.

And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 'one bullet gun' as long as it shoots that bullet accurately. Dead is dead.

Once I work a load that I like with a bullet that I like..I stay with that load, so If I have a one bullet guns then that's just fine.....

And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 'one bullet gun' as long as it shoots that bullet accurately.

i think this is the point Bounty Hunter and myself are making. yes, there's no problem if it shoots "that bullet" well. but, what if it doesn't shoot "that bullet" worth a dang? if you get too far away from the norm, you could be in for disappointment.

Perhaps,but I am not convinced that it can't shoot lighter wieght bullets well..While not apples to apples,but I have seen a 36 grain bullet that was designed for a 11 twist 22-250 shoot 1/2" groups out of a 223 7 twist at 3400 FPS in an AR platform.....We will see how she works when completed.....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.