Bullet weight for 300 RUM

Vincent15

So I bought a 300 RUM 1:10, 26" barrel. I had it bedded and an ok trigger (Timney) put in and it's got a Vortex 6.5x20x44 scope.I shot it at 100 and it will not perform well. It will shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yds at best. I bought Barnes VOR-TX 180gr and I'm wondering if i just need to move up in weight.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with experience in this caliber so i'm hoping that someone can give me some advice.

Thanks!

The 300 RUM is probably at its best with 200 - 230 Gr bullets for long range shooting. 180 Gr bullets should shoot very well also though, they will just loose oomph at longer distances.

It might not be the bullet weight necessarily. It just might be the brand that the rifle doesn't like. Some good bullets that will shoot in most rifles are the Nosler Accubonds. Nosler makes 300 RUM ammo with the 200 Gr Accubond. I would check them out.

Couple more good ones are HSM 300 RUM with 210 Berger VLD. Caution this bullet can be somewhat finicky, but when they shoot they shoot very very well.

Hornady is starting to load their new 220 ELD-X bullet in 300 RUM. I don't know if it is on the shelves yet, but it has the potential to be an awesome load.

Sure you know by now how expensive 300 RUM ammo can be. You can burn thru a lot of it (and your barrel) trying to find a factory load that shoots well. I would check absolutely everything on the rifle before burning too much ammo in it. Check that the stock screws are very secure, also rings and bases. 3" groups are pretty bad almost sounds like something loose on the rifle.

What rifle do you have? :)

15, if you reload try the custom search top right this page specifically the very accurate "Broz" loads. The consensus is the heavy for caliber projectile is most accurate at longer ranges. Many friends have 300 RUM and some are reduced to single shot using their most accurate hand loads due to magazine limits. I just loaded some 215 Bergers for a friend's 300 RUM and the mag box is way shorter than the lands. He's having a Wyatt extended box installed to make it a repeater again. If you don't reload, you're looking at factory ammo if you can find it. Good luck

The 230 Berger usually does a 300 RUM rather nice, if it won't shoot and everything else is cool then rebarrel the gun!

If these are factory loaded ammo they should shoot well if they are the power level lll.
I have some and they will shoot less than an 1 at 200.
I myself like the 210 gr and hand load.

Thanks for the info and advice.

I bought a rifle from Refhawk Rifles. Its a Remington 700 base with a Bell and Carlson stock. I'm not reloading for it right now but may in the future. I thought that it may be just ammo this gun doesn't like but wanted to get opinions here too.

I was thinking of using the HSM Berbers but it's primarily a hunting rifle and have heard bad things about it meeting with bone of elk size animals.

I have been looking at the Hornady ELD but wasn't sure if it was just marketing or not.

Save your brass for your 300 rum; you may well need it when it is time to reload.

As to loads, the 180 grain swift scirrocco2 rem loading has shot well for me, and I'll get an accubond to shoot well in most rifles, so if you can get Nosler ammo loaded with these pills, go for it. The Barnes bullet shoots very well when it wants to, but without being able to work on seating depth , etc. reloading, you are left with no choice but to ditch the loading as it groups poorly.

I have a 300 RUM with a 28" Krieger barrel with 1:9 twist and a standard Palma contour on a blueprinted Rem. 700. Jewell trigger, Nightforce NXS scope. It shoots 199-grain Hammers into one ragged hole at 200 yards. About the same with SMK 220s and Berger 230s. Berger 210 VLDs nearly as good. All loaded close to the lands in a standard SAAMI chamber. The Nosler reloading manual says something like, "Our technicians were surprised to find near-benchrest accuracy" with their test 300 RUM. I had the same experience when I started shooting a Sendero SS in 300 RUM. The heavy barrel and scope reduce felt recoil a lot; I don't notice it in the field. I load all of the bullets I've mentioned to a bit over 3,000 fps, mild enough not to burn out the barrel faster than it does without any help. Reloder 33, Ramshot LRT, VV N570, all the usual suspects in powder. If you don't like carrying the extra weight, lose a few pounds. All of the advantages except weight accrue to the heavies.

We offer test packs if you want to try 3 or 5 rounds of several different bullets. The 10 twist should be really good with 180s. Our test rifle is a 10 twist and run up through 225s with it.
North American Ammunition Company .
616 299 1349

Sounds like a sweet rifle! But this thread is 7 years old.
This just shows you the Rum never Dies !
😂😂😄😄🤣🤣

20230223_074011.jpg

Rum Man

Recent Posts