What to use? long range build

Godfather

Hello all. I am wanting to do a long range rifle build capable of 1000+ yards. Was thinking a remington 700 action would be a good choice to customize. What do you guys recommend for the best barrel, stock, bolt, scope, trigger, etc. I'll be of course getting the action trued and everything done by a smith. I'm not looking to save money here. I just want the best stuff :Dgun)

Thanks guys!!

I'm definitely no expert, as I am in the same position as you- I'm acquiring parts for a build right now. As far as an action though, if you are wanting the best stuff - I'd look into a custom action (if you don't already have rem 700 for the project). I'm starting new (don't have a LA Rem laying around) and have heard from many on this site to look into custom actions. Your cost isn't too far off once you figure truing costs and adding other bells and whistles to the action. Just depends on how much a guy wants to spend!

I've found a Stiller Predator LA w/ 20 MOA rail for $900. It's a little more money than I want to spend, but in speaking with the gunsmith I've decided on, (Lane Precision Rifles) he'd prefer a Stiller over a 700 any day. There are some great shooting rifles built off of 700's, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

So far for me, I'm going with a 6.5 Sherman built with:
- Stiller Predator LA
- Manners T2A in Elite GAP
- Bartlein barrel
- Timney trigger

Unless you already own the Remington action, you'd be ahead of the game buying a custom action (about equal money if you have the action blueprinted). I'm a big fan of BAT actions, but they're pricey. Also Kelby, Pierce, Stiller.

A hand lapped barrel from any of the custom barrel makers: Bartlien, Broughton, Brux, Krieger, among others.

A jewell HVR trigger.

Stock is a personal taste thing, IMO. Mcmillan, Manners lead the list.

Scope depends on what you want to use it for. Can't go wrong with a NF, but they're awfully big and heavy.

-nosualc

Unless you already own the Remington action, you'd be ahead of the game buying a custom action.....

-nosualc
++

I got a few R700s for builds. Once I'm done testing they will be for sale as 26-Nosler wildcats. The final firearms for the 26-Nosler wildcats will be Weatherby Mark Vs.

I guess a custom action is definitely the way to go then. Been doing some research on BAT tactical action, surgeon, and precision engineering. What's the best? Jewel trigger for sure. McMillan stock. And all the barrels seem like they are about the same. Probly going with a 300wm.

++

I got a few R700s for builds. Once I'm done testing they will be for sale as 26-Nosler wildcats. The final firearms for the 26-Nosler wildcats will be Weatherby Mark Vs.

Depending on how nice that 7mm-26 Nosler turns out, I might be willing to trade you for my Accumark .257 Wby that you can use for your final build. :D

Unless you already own the Remington action, you'd be ahead of the game buying a custom action (about equal money if you have the action blueprinted). I'm a big fan of BAT actions, but they're pricey. Also Kelby, Pierce, Stiller.

A hand lapped barrel from any of the custom barrel makers: Bartlien, Broughton, Brux, Krieger, among others.

A jewell HVR trigger.

Stock is a personal taste thing, IMO. Mcmillan, Manners lead the list.

Scope depends on what you want to use it for. Can't go wrong with a NF, but they're awfully big and heavy.

-nosualc
You do realize that some custom actions will still need final truing, as well, to end up with a perfectly square face....So you end up still needing to do some work to them for perfection. However, they are in a lot better shape when you buy them, and need a lot less care than most 700 actions off the shelf.

So, just saying that buying a custom action will solve all his problems is misleading.

Action: Only one to use for lobbing lead a looong way. . . . Barnard Precision. That is if you want a receiver you dont have to put $1000 in it just to get it ready.

Proof, look at what prone 1000yd iron sight shooters all use? Barnard period.

they make one that is on a Remm 700 footprint.

Smag~

Surgeon action, bartlein or krieger barrel. I have no doubt you'd be happy as long as your gunsmith does his job. Frankly, that last part is where your focus should be. You want something guaranteed to meet your expectations you are going to have to wait for it...these guys are busy for a reason.

Frankly, that last part is where your focus should be. You want something guaranteed to meet your expectations you are going to have to wait for it...these guys are busy for a reason.

+1

Confucius say: Be wary of a gunsmith or a taxidermist who can get you in "right away." He's either stretching the truth or he's not busy for a reason.

-nosualc

+1

Confucius say: Be wary of a gunsmith or a taxidermist who can get you in "right away." He's either stretching the truth or he's not busy for a reason.

-nosualc

That's not necessarily true. My gunsmith is a true pro at building and working on guns, but he only does it on the side, and he is very selective about who he does work for, thefore my lead-time is usually VERY short (normally a week or 2). His main profession is not gunsmithing. He is a machinist by day. But since he has been smithing for over 25 years, and he came highly recommended by my old smith (who retired in Jan of this year), and after 6 custom rifles being built since Jan, I have had zero issues, and all my guns are lights-out accurate.

In your case, you've got a smith who isn't busy for a reason. He doesn't want to be. :)

-nosualc

Yep, and it's very nice knowing I can drop off my stuff and usually be shooting the following Saturday or Sunday, unless he's out of town, then I'll have to wait another week, or if he has to order parts or get super busy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts