What rings to use?

MightyMach

I posted this in the optic forum with little readers...so I went to a more populated forum ;)

Looking to get a new set of rings. I know the Badger Max50's are very reputable but how do the Barrett's match up? Going on a 300RUM with a DE brake. Eventually, a 338 EDGE. Looking to buy in the next day or so...

Anyhoo, there's my dilemna any information would be super! Thank you!

I use these---they are the Speedy Gonzalez rings built by John Loh at JJ Industries http://www.jj-industries.com/. They are constructed of 7075 in a T6 condition. Use them on my competition rifles as well as sporters.
USOWarp7.jpg

I posted this in the optic forum with little readers...so I went to a more populated forum ;)

Looking to get a new set of rings. I know the Badger Max50's are very reputable but how do the Barrett's match up? Going on a 300RUM with a DE brake. Eventually, a 338 EDGE. Looking to buy in the next day or so...

Anyhoo, there's my dilemna any information would be super! Thank you!

A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

I just purchased 2 sets of Near Mfg rings and bases that in my mind are the pinnacle of
mounting systems. "But" they are over $400.oo for the set.

There are a lot of good scope mounts for $100.oo + and for under $100.oo you can get a
set of Leupold dual dove tails that are my favorite for hunting rifles.

J E CUSTOM

I just purchased 2 sets of Near Mfg rings and bases that in my mind are the pinnacle of mounting systems. "But" they are over $400.oo for the set.

For arguably the finest machined rings/bases available, give Richard at Near MFG a call. Professional service, prompt delivery, and will work with you if you have a custom request.

If that's not in the budget, then Seekins Precision rings/bases would be my vote. It would be very hard to beat the value of his product...he could probably charge much more and still sell a bunch...but don't tell him that:)

There's likely many other great rings/bases...but these are two I have experience with that I'd recommend to others.

LRH'ers are lucky to have the great choices we have for quality products at great values.

Given the choice between Badger and Barrett, go with the Badger. I've used several sets of badger's with little or no need to lap. Never heard anything negative about badger fwiw. The max 50s are a bit overkill for what it sounds like your going to be doing with them.

+1 on the Warne equipment. 1st class gear.

I have them on 3 rifles after trying other rings and having problems.

They make a quick detachable version that is really nice if you want to move a scope from one rifle to the other.

Question if you use the quick detach rings on the warne does your zero still stay the same. If you use the same rails on both guns. I do know the if you zero at 200yds might be different. But is your right and left stay the same?

I believe they promise half minute repeatabiity for the quick detach version.
I have never tested it to verify.
I do know once you install them they don't move.
I used the Leupold rings and bases and sheared off two sets then went with Warne and no problems since.

I guess the reason for going with the "big rings" is because I want to be 100% certain the scope is staying square all the time, every time while hunting/transport. I'll look into the others as well. What applications warrant the Max-50 rings? Surely it's not only the 50, right?

I would look into EGW base and rings. Their bases are phenominal and I would imagine their rings would match. You would save a little on funds as well.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.