What To Expect From 6mmAI

hoghound

I want a truck gun that rides with me full time on the weekends. Seems like whenever A rifle ain't with me is when I see several hogs, yotes and a few nice bucks for culling anywhere from 100 out to about 400yds.

I decided I will get a Remington CDL in 243 and have her reamed out to a 6mm Ackley. Barrel will stay stock at 24" with a 1- 9.125 twist.

Needs some ideas from the board members to help me out with some loads for varmits and for that big buck at say 250yds to where I would feel good about having enough bullet and power to put his lights out.

Thanks Tim

in that barrel I'd say another 150 fps , maybe a bit more or less , your gonna be adding a good bit more powder but in a 24" barrel its not gonna be as effecient.

But the extra velocity and the better cut chamber will probably benifit you in both accuracy and power on target. Since you mentioned Hogs as a possible target I'd shoot the 95gr Ballistic tips , I think that you should be able to get 3200-3300 fps out of it with that bullet.

Yeah I hear ya Rick but I ran out of long recievers to mess with and figured if I have to buy a rifle for the action then re-barrell and chamber I would have more in it then I really want. Going the factory way reaming and bedding would be better for my budget. My wife gave me her permission to get a new rifle and also said in the same sentance the tit's gone dry for awhile.

I should be able to shoot 85's thru 100's in 6MMAI in a short action you reckon.

Tim

Tim-go-with-a-6x284;-Velocities-are-higher;-Better-brass;-less-work;-all-you-have-to-do-is-neck-down-the-brass.-Trust-me;-I-did-lots-of-reserch-when-I-built-my-6x284.-I-was-getting-3730-fps-with-52.5grns-H4350-and-using-a-87grn-V-Max-out-of-1-12-twist-30"-barrel.-It-was-absolutely-awsome.-I-was-very-happy-with-my-choice;-because-I-almost-went-with-a-6MM-Ackley-but-many-on-LRH-got-me-to-look-at-the-6x284-and-that's-when-I-realized-that-the-6x284-was-a-better-choice.-You-will-be-much-happier-with-the-6x284.-Good-luck-with-your-choice;-the-6MM-Ackley-is-a-good-round-too;-but-the-6x284-is-better-for-speed;-brass;-and-brass-prep.

Wildcat, that's what I was really chomping at the bit to have is a 6-284, but when I traded my Swift to my cousin for his 722 244, we shot the 75gr. V max bullet and the stock 244 was 100fps faster than his 6-284 both using the same powder and both having 26" barrels. The 244 was running them out there at 3730's with 50grs. of H-4350.

Ol Rick might have the best idea. Punch the stock barrel out to 243AI. If the 243AI has about the same amount of volume as a 244 then we should be in the ball park less the 2" shorter pipe. Plus I like the 1- 9.125 twist that they went with. I mostly want to shoot the 87 V max and the 80gr TSX. Maybe 90gr. Berger VLD up to the 105.

Any opinions welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Tim

Catshooter;Sorry!!!-I-am-working-on-it.-But-for-now-maybe-you-need-to-get-some-glasses-for-your-poor-little-eyes.

Just-for-that-statement-I'd-keep-the-old-keyboard.

**** bro it must suck to have to type like that , I had to do that line three times to get it right!

Tim;-something-most-be-wrong.-There-is-no-way-that-the-6mm-Ackley-is-faster-than-the-6x284-that-doesn't-sound-right.-My-6x284-shot-a-75grn-V-max-at-close-to-4000fps.-My-shooting-buddy-owns-a-6mm-Ackley-Improved-with-a-30"-pipe-and-he-has-never-come-close-to-the-same-velocities-as-my-6x284-with-a-87grn-V-Max.-He-was-getting-between-3600-to-3650-fps-with-his-6MM-Ackley.-I-was-getting-between-3730-to-3750-fps-out-of-my-6x284-with-the-same-bullet-and-barrel-length;-and-I-could-have-reached-3800-fps-if-I-wanted-to-increase-the-powder-charge.-When-I-used-53.5grns-of-H4350-my-velocity-was-right-at-3805-fps;-however;-my-accuracy-went-from-the-.1's-into-the-high-.2's-when-the-velocity-went-over-3750-fps.-At-3750-fps;-my-6x284-was-shooting-in-the-low-.1's-so-that's-why-I-never-went-any-higher.-Like-I-said-my-buddies-6mm-Ackley-never-has-come-close-to-my-6x284;-you-might-want-to-double-check-the-numbers.-I-promise;-the-6x284-will-beat-the-6mm-Ackley-hands-down.-Anyhow-good-luck;-the-6mm-Ackley-is-a-great-case;-however;-the-6x284-will-beat-her-everytime.

Thanks-J.D.-Yea;-it-really-sucks;-but-I-love-this-site-and-I-love-to-post-and-help-people-out-with-info.-I-am-waiting-to-get-it-fixed;-I-am-hoping-real-soon.-I-am-sick-of-getting-smart-comments-from-certian-people.-However;-I-am-glad-everybody-on-this-site-is-not-like-CATSHOOTER;-he-must-not-be-getting-any-P---Y-at-home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I shoot a 6Ak in a short action Rem. 1/8, 107s at 3100fps...Groups well enough to shoot 1K. Who ever pulls a loaded round????
db

JDJones,
To tell you the truth, I think even if wildcat gets a new keyboard, he'd still type the same way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Something similar happened to me a while back and was hard getting back to typing on a new keyboard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.