What To Expect From 6mmAI

I'll second the 243AI. The brass is better and easier to find. Many people say that it is a barrel burner but if thats the case then the 6mm and 284 are burners for sure. You can eject a loaded round which happens often when you chamber on the stand or preparing for a shot that doesn't happen or the range offer calls cease fire. The 243 AI will come within spitting distance of the 6mm AI and 284 so whats the point. If you plan to shoot the VLD's they will most likely shoot tighter groups at around 3200fps so the extra capacity of the bigger cases is not really needed.

I have both 6mmAI and 6mm-284, the 6mmAI has about 5-6 grains less powder capacity so you give up around 50-100 fps depending on bullet weight . but slightly less powder capacity along with the much longer neck translate into much improved barrel life, the 6mm-284 is really a barrel burner(I have burned up 2). the Remington 6mm brass is not on par with Lapua brass that you can get for 6mm-284 or 243AI but the lot I have is surprising good.
LWolken's point that the 243AI "will most likely shoot tighter groups" is absolutely ridiculous, if you were talking about a 6BR shooting tighter groups it might have some merit.
UB

I don't know why you wouldn't just leave it as a .243? You're plenty good out to 250 on the biggest Buck on the planet... hell, I'd shoot one at 400 with the .243 and any well constructed bullet. Load up some 95 grain Nosler BTs at about 3100 and it'll be lights-out on just about any critter you've got running around there in TX... with the exception of some of the bigger exotics like Nilgai or Oryx.

A couple of other things too:
1. The 6mm AI doesn't "require a short action" it's not any longer than the regular 6mm. It may make it easier to seat the bullets into the lands... but it is not a "requirement". If one had to pull the bolt to extract a loaded round then it obviously didn't fit in the magazine. Load them so they fit in the mag and you'll never have any extraction problems. If you have the chamber cut with minimal throat then you'll be able to get bullets close to the lands and fit them in the magazine.
2. I had a 6-284 with a 24" pipe and it wasn't any quicker than my current 6mm Rem. with a 24" pipe. I don't doubt that the 6-284 should be faster, but I believe it takes at least a 26" pipe to make a difference.
3. If you're worried about having enough thump to shoot deer at 250 with a .243 then you should become a gun writter... it seems they're the only guys around who can't hammer anything bigger than a coyote with 6mm caliber guns.

I think the Remington 700 CDL in .243 is one of the greatest "truck guns" a guy could have. It's a little on the pretty side for beating around on the floor board, but that has never mattered to me. Buy it and shoot it for a while before you do anything drastic to it... I bet you'll be a believer in the .243 in no time at all.

I'm with .25AOD, shoot the 243. I have a 243 savage that I shoot 95gr bergers out of and I am actually embarrased to say how much I like the rifle and the round. I have shot 3 whitetail deer with it and a few coyotes. The furthest deer was 423 yards and the furthest coyote was 546. I have never not had the bullet exit with atleast an 1.5" exit. This gun never leaves the truck. I have just over 20 rifles in the safe, including a 6mmAI, and this 243 is the only one that seems to get used.

25AOD, good point outs. I have no experience with the 6mm caliber as all my attention over the years has been on the 264mag, 270win and the 220swift. That's why I ask you fellers about the 6mmAI and what it has to offer. You read all kindof stuff where this guy says it's the best thing since sliced bread and another says it ain't big enough for whitetail with bullets under 100grs which I know is a bunch of hog wash. Hell I read somewhere where there has been a few African elephant taken with a 243.

My reasoning for thinking of going the 6mm Ackley way was to get a little more gettyup over the 243 and have about the same performance as a 6mm with a 26" pipe using the factory 24". Shooting the swift over the years spoiled me to how flat they shoot and I want something compatable to it in the 6mm, plus be able to get the bigger pills up to a decent velocity.

Tim

On the topic of 6mm/243s I fall into the catagory of "it's the best thing since sliced bread with butter and jelly!!!" I think they're the hammer of Thor on anything up to deer sized game (and a few caribou).

Back to your initial question; I have heard GREAT things about the Barnes tsx bullets and I am going to try them this year. I accidently found a load for my 6mms, I was looking for a plinking load for the kids, cheap bullets and powder I had left over. It is a stout load of R-19 behind a 80gr Rem cor-lock bullet (the cheap ones sold in bulk) that is an absolute lazer for me. 3/4" all day long.

With the Wyatt magazine for the Rem short action you can seat the bullets out alittle longer wish they had one of those out when I did my first 6RemAI on a short action.

how about a 6WSSM? the capacity is about the same as a 6mm rem and you could seat the bullets out with a short action. would take a bolt face modification and maybe a little rail altercation though.

I shoot a 6mmAI in a long action J series Savage.Wouldn't trade it for anything. It's got a 26in Kreiger barrel a SSS trigger custom recoil lug and is both pillar and glass bedded.
This gun rocks. I've been shooting 95gr Bergers in it for a varmint shilhouette competition for 2 years. At 400 meters it knocks a heavy coyote target 2 feet straight back before it can fall over. I am currently shooting Norma brass for competition loads but am thinking about switching to a necked dowm 7x57 brass. It takes a little neck turning but you can have a tight neck rifle with a factory chamber and neck it it's done right
I don't want to list loads but I will say I use Ramshot powder and a powder measure to load and really like both.
I'm getting great speed with the Ramshot powder and it burns clean. The speeds are at least 200-250fps better than a stock 243 and with the longer neck on the 6mm cartridge barrel life is a lot better than a 243 or 243 AI.
One last thought if you have any choice of actions definately use a long action for this cartridge. It gives you the ability to seat the bullets out as far as you want and still feeds great from the magazine

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.