Step Up From 338 lapua What Would it be?

Left Hand Dave

Say you considered building something that was a step up from a 338 Lapua Mag. Could still be 338 but a little more speed or maybe a larger caliber. This would be for long range fun and just cause you could. What would you build and how would you set it up. We would need to know barrel length required, what the parent cartridge was, what you would throat it for and if it could be build on a factory action or if you would have to go to a custom. If you have one what speed you get with what bullet and powder. If it is an improved case what were the changes to the case. Just curious what's out there to play with.

Dave

For the Allen's you need a couple years to throw at it too. The wait list is usually 2 years plus....

One of the most respected and sought after rifles for true long range hunting though.

Up from a 338 would have to be a 338 variant, like Kirby Allen makes, or a Cheytac 375 or 408. 50cal is nice but the Cheytacs seem more manageable, not speaking from experience though. I guess it depends on the budget but a 375 Cheytac would be hard to beat. Good luck

I was looking at the 375 Allen rounds the other day. I'd probably go with that or something in the .40+ range. A .50 has always seemed really neat, but it doesn't really trip my trigger like a smaller more manageable round.

What improved versions of the 338 Lapua are out there? I have seen the 338 Lapua AI and the 338 Yogi mentioned. what are the differences between the two and are there any others? Anyone have any velocity numbers for them?

Dave

I went with a 338 Edge.

Life changes. I am planning on rechambering it to a 337-378 improved of sum sort. 338-378 Kubla Khan.

There are lots that are a step up in the wildcat world.

338 LM AI and variants, all to close to make a choice for any reason other than I can.

338 Tejas

So many cartridges, so little time.

338 Lap imp with 30" barrel. I ran our 213g Hammer Hunter this season in mine at 3560fps. I can run our 285g Hammer Hunter at ~ 3250fps. Mine is a nine twist so that is as heavy a bullet it will handle.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.