What stock for a Savage?

Tyler Kemp

As some of you know, I'm wanting to have a custom Savage built. I am unable to decide on which stock. I like the looks of the Mcmillan A-4, A-5, but they are waaaay out of the price range I have.

What color, or color combination will go good with stainless? Laminate or synthetic? Do I really need an adjustable cheek piece?

sav_10fp_t.jpg

Another +1 for Stockade... I got my first one (Woodchuck, a general-purpose varmint/tactical design) in the 'money-saver' form - straight out-of-the-mold (OTM), no filling, no priming, nothing. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that... get the finished and primed, but unpainted version if you are looking to save money - unless you like working with bondo and sanding and priming and all that BS. Painting I can handle. Bondo/priming was way more work than the money saved. I've got a Prairie Dog special on order right now... adjustable LOP and a fore-end rail, and I'm going to add a Karsten saddle cheekpiece when it gets here and it gets painted (figure why pay for Stockade to paint it when I'm going to camo it anyway).

Sharp Shooter Supply used to sell Stockades gun stocks under their name (Lock Stock & Barrel and Brownells still sell them), but due to some... issues... SSS dropped all the Stockade stocks, and then started selling laminated duplicates thereof. You can draw your own conclusions about that one.

Lastly, Joel Russo's laminated A5L can be had inletted for the Savage actions, but IMO, its a lot more money to get one of those finished out to where its usable (finish the inletting, bed it, finish the shaping, sand, apply finish of choice, etc.) vs. a rattle-can spray job and drop the barreled action in the stock and go to the range (Stockade). Some of those laminate A5L's are dang pretty looking, though.

Here's a pic of my 10FP in a Stockade Woodchuck stock (aka the 'Ugly Stik'):

PICT0109.jpg

I love my bell and charlson medalist stock on my savage model 12fvss 300 wsm. I love the feel of it. it cost me $206. if I wasn't such a computer illiterate person I would show a picture.

diderr I like your stock also. almost bought one. My hunting buddy has that stock on his 300 WSM. It has a good feel to it. good looking gun

I love my bell and charlson medalist stock on my savage model 12fvss 300 wsm. I love the feel of it. it cost me $206. if I wasn't such a computer illiterate person I would show a picture.

diderr-- I like your stock also. almost bought one. My hunting buddy has that stock on his 300 WSM. It has a good feel to it. good looking gun

I've been kind of partial to Krylon desert tan... but then I'm kind of cheap about some things. That one is my 'ugly gun' that gets fixed up w/ a spritz or two; I don't worry about it getting bunged up. I've got the stuff to do a DuraCoat job on it; maybe this summer I'll purty it up some for the winter coyotes ;)

While I appreciate the kind words ;)...

Trust me, it's an ugly gun. That picture is kind of like one of those boudoir pics of a middle-aged house wife - with the right light, and enough make-up, anything can look hot :) Up-close-n-personal... you can see all the wrinkles and blemishes. I've been working with it a bit more lately and I'm remembering how much I do like this general-purpose style stock... it's not high-speed/low-drag tacti-cool with any CDI factor to it, but it flat works - any position, any where, any how.

Pretty big shoes for that P-dog special I've got on order to step into, cuz its going on this rifle when it gets here.

Monte

Another vote for Stockade Pdog/Tactical Special.

I got the out of the mold for just over $200. It needed a little bit of bondo to straighten out the barrel channel. Then I rattle canned some Plasitkote stone fleck. 2 coats of polyurethane and it is hard as nails and looks good too.

ImportedPhotos00005a-1.jpg

I think this is the stock i will most likely go with, maybe adjustable cheek piece also. I think I may go with an OD green color.

What scope do you have on that gun?

Tyler,

FWIW, I don't like the adjustable cheekpiece that Kevin puts on those stocks (personal taste thing, not anything wrong with 'em). I'd suggest one of the adjustable saddle cheekpieces from Karsten (Karsten's Custom Camo) - lay out and drill two 5/16" holes and push thru the 1/4" bolts to hold the cheekpiece on. Easy peasy, and tough as heck (made out of Kydex).

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.