What calibers available for a Savage short action rifle?

MasonG

Here's the backstory: I bought a Boyd's sky blue laminate thumbhole unfinished stock for a Savage short action rifle last year. I believe the 10's, 11's, 12's, 16's and 25's will fit it. I love the look of it and want to put a stainless action and barrel into it.

So here's my question: What calibers? As my Dad said, "It'll be a cool gun so it should be a cool caliber." I don't see a ton of calibers really, especially in stainless, bull barreled guns. What custom actions are available if any? I know nothing about custom actions and wouldn't know where to start but wouldn't mind going that route. Is a .243 AI possible?

The must haves for this gun are stainless and heavy barrel, that's all. What would you all put in it?

Savage doesn't make a true "short action." That is a good thing because you can seat bullets out longer with it. Some people have built a 338 edge on a Savage short action (but you have to remove the bolt to eject a live round). The sky is the limit. I have a 300 wm on a Savage target action. It all depends on how you want to build it. Magazine length may be your only issue.

savage has a few chambered in short action calibers.they have the usual 308,243,223 etc. and then they have my favorite which is 300wsm.you of course can buy any old stainless action or donor rifle,either a 12 or 16 are the stainless actions,and rebarrel it to whatever you want.barrel swaps aren't hard and if you need any help I made a video on how to do it.a 243a.i. is fine but just remember that magazine length will play a part,especially if you decide to shoot something like the 115 grain d-tacs or you want to seat your bullets to the lands or just off of them.if you load them single it doesn't matter.one last thing you need to make sure of is the measurement of your action screw spacing on your stock.the older short actions are 4.27 inches and the newer ones are 4.4 inches.if you have any more questions just holler.martygun)

6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, 7SAUM, 338 Lapua(single feed only), 338 Norma Mag, 6x47 Lapua, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, 260 Rem, 7WSM, 6XC, 6SLR, 6 Dasher, 6BR. I can go on, just have to pick the one that tickles your fancy.

First thing is measure the screw spacing and determine exactly what action you need. 4.27 or 4.4 as mentioned previously.

PTG and Shilen make actions for the Savage. I believe PTG does anyway. Perhaps Sharp Shooter Supply as well. They run around $900 I think.

Best bet is to locate a Weather Warrior rifle or find an action. I have bought several rifles and actions to build from.

Barrels are two fold. 1. Have a smith ream, thread, and crown a barrel. 2. McGown, Shilen, Shaw, and Douglas make prefit barrels. You will have to check and see if they offer the 243 AI. Shilen has a complete list of standard chambers they will ream for you.

The cool caliber would be: 6BR

I use it for Precision Rifle Shooting from 300 yards to 1,000 yards. It shoots very accurate. The brass is tiny but shoots well.

If it is windy in your area, then I'll go for 284 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.