What stock for a Savage?

I didn't see any cheekpieces on that site? What do you not like about the design? Are you suggesting a style like the DE cheekpiece? With the stockade stock do you even feel the need for a cheekpiece?

Here is one nasty rendition of the rifle I want to have built.
customsavage.jpg

Stockade stock
Savage right bolt/left port action
Broughton 30" or 32" barrel in either 7mm RUM, STW, or 338 Edge with brake.

Forgot to mention... on Karsten's site, upper left corner, click on 'For Sale: View Available Items' to see his cheekpieces.

I prefer the model 'B', as I like being able to loosen two knobs and slip the cheekpiece down for cleaning without having to use any tools (like the other Karsten models or Shawn's DE cheekpiece). I also like to be able to tweak the cheekpiece height in the field, depending on the terrain, etc (i.e. steep angles sometimes demand a little different set up than flat terrain) if I have the time. Personal taste thing again - being 6'5" very few stocks fit me well to begin with, and shooting NRA HP long-range Prone got me spoilt about adjustable cheekpieces ;) If Kevin offered a thumbhwheel cheekpiece I'd probably go that route; as it is I like the saddle style better than the two thumbscrew style he uses now. Other people like Terry Cross's design (don't have a link, but if you search around you may be able to find it).

I think I'll give it a go without the cheekpiece at first, it already looks pretty high. Looks like an easy enough job to put one on too, if I ever need one.

I think this is the stock i will most likely go with, maybe adjustable cheek piece also. I think I may go with an OD green color.

What scope do you have on that gun?

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40. $280. I really love it. The glass it quite clear. The turrets are dead on. And it has 4.3" of eye relief. More than enough for my 300win, and plenty on my 338RUM.

I'd also not get kevin's adjustable cheek. I've been able to mount my scope very low and don't need one. You may not either, depending on they scope, rings, and bases you choose.

I'm looking at the 4200 6-24x Tactical. 50 MOA of adjustment with a 20 MOA base will get me to 1000 easily. Enough zoom, and only about $500.

How long is your barrel, and how far have you shot with scope?

It's a factory 26" Varmint Fluted 300win.

The 3200 also has 50 MOA of adjustment. I'm also using Burris Signature rings in dual dovetail bases. I set the inserts with the maximum amount of taper while allowing a 100 yard zero. Between the two I have about 70 MOA to play with. I need less than 25 to get to 1000 yards.

Most of my shooting is 600 yards or less. That's the limit at the range that I go to. I haven't had time to go somewhere else to stretch her out a bit.

Have you had any problems with the Burris inserts slipping on the 300? Do you think they would work well on a 338 Edge? If so, $40 and a selection of inserts available beats $100+ for canted bases and "tactical" rings.

Go with the stockade its like Marrage you have to live with it. You may need to bed the stock. As for the cheek piece? its not needed, its nice, but you can go cheep with duck tabe.......lol. tha duck tape was a cheep joke. Make sure you use a very good barrel, and dont ever skimp on the scope, as a rule I follow the scope should cost more than the rifle.
if you buy a junk scope you WILL pay in the long run. You will need to have a free floating barrel, and A bi-pod Harris. Notice the paper on the stock? what do you think he has it for?
I know.

for geargrinder....

"Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40. $280. I really love it. The glass it quite clear. The turrets are dead on. And it has 4.3" of eye relief. More than enough for my 300win, and plenty on my 338RUM."

would you mind sharing where can i buy that scope for that price? not finding them......thanks, AJ

Have you had any problems with the Burris inserts slipping on the 300? Do you think they would work well on a 338 Edge? If so, $40 and a selection of inserts available beats $100+ for canted bases and "tactical" rings.

No problems on the 300. No problems on my 338RUM either. I'd say that they would hold and Edge just fine too. I'd recommend putting them in the toughest bases you can get. Like a dual dovetail setup. That's what I'm using. Rock solid and much cheaper than any decent tapered rail.

"Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40. $280. I really love it. The glass it quite clear. The turrets are dead on. And it has 4.3" of eye relief. More than enough for my 300win, and plenty on my 338RUM."

would you mind sharing where can i buy that scope for that price? not finding them......thanks, AJ

I got it on ebay. Here's a link to my auction.

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle scope 32-5154T New - eBay (item 120191415300 end time Dec-09-07 18:02:07 PST)

And here is a rebate form for a free $130 waterproof jacket for buying a scope with rainguard.

http://www.bushnell.com/images/JacketCounterCard.pdf

Thanks to diderr for making this much better picture of what my gun could look like with a 32" barrel plus brake, stockade stock in tannish with black webbing and a tactical looking scope. Originally the gun was facing the other way, and the barrel looked better. I made it approximately 2" longer.
338edge.jpg

I love the B&C Medalist. I can shoot 1/2" groups with Federal premium 130 gr ballistic tips. This is the same as the factory stock, but look, feel, and balance is so much better with the Medalist. I did add some weight to the butt. Less than $200 at Shooters Discount.
12FVSS in 270 WSM
B&C Medalist
Farrell 0 Base
Burris Extreme Tactical Rings
Tasco Euro Class 3-12X52
47b7d711b3127ccebc8b4413697200000036100CZM2bJoxcMQ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.