What size gongs for 400-600?

What size gongs do you all like for ranges from 400-600 yards? Also do you like 3/8 ar500 or 1/2inch thick? Thanks!
I like the .500" because it'll handle a .45-70 fine. (The 3/8" do seem to "dink" a little better though : )
I use 4" or 6" up through 300 and an 8" - 12" up through 600. (It basically boils down to what we have at the time)
My overall favorite is a 1/2" by 6" gong.
I paint them alternating coats of blaze orange and white. That way the previous color easily shows where you just hit!

I have one of these and just hit the center of it with different size circles (depending on yardage) of neon orange spray paint for an aiming point. 1/2" thickness.
View attachment 212157
Excuse me for posing a somewhat different, but related to spotting hits.....ringing, indicator...... question regarding metallic targets. Does anyone use the electronic light hit indicator? Apparently it senses the vibration of a hit and illuminates a light indicator. Brand, experience, likes/dislikes, costs, protecting from impacts......remote the light??? Thanks

Excuse me for posing a somewhat different, but related to spotting hits.....ringing, indicator...... question regarding metallic targets. Does anyone use the electronic light hit indicator? Apparently it senses the vibration of a hit and illuminates a light indicator. Brand, experience, likes/dislikes, costs, protecting from impacts......remote the light??? Thanks
I considered the remote camera system but thought it still a little pricey. There still seemed to me to both pros & cons. The light system would only confirm a hit somewhere on the gong, right?

Relative to thickness:
1599144193312.png

From the company I bought my steel target from. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Shoot...AA6-0B91FF9559E3?ref_=ast_bln&tag=lrhmag19-20

I use 30"x30" 1/2" AR500....it's nice when more than one shooter can shoot at different aiming points....plus I move out to 1000 occasionally.

Where do you find plates that size? I've been looking.
Regarding finding specific size/shape plates, my gun club purchased a plasma cutter to fabricate range metallic targets. Later, club set up to offer custom targets cut to one's specs at nominal costs. Customer either supplies material or club provides from inventory; customer provides dimensioned/speced sketch...signed off by customer; customer pays up front; club maintenance cuts. You might explore local clubs for this service. I'm told it can offer significant savings for custom targets.

Regarding finding specific size/shape plates, my gun club purchased a plasma cutter to fabricate range metallic targets. Later, club set up to offer custom targets cut to one's specs at nominal costs. Customer either supplies material or club provides from inventory; customer provides dimensioned/speced sketch...signed off by customer; customer pays up front; club maintenance cuts. You might explore local clubs for this service. I'm told it can offer significant savings for custom targets.
Good to know. VERY impressive!

When I started I built them out of soft steel 1/2" but don't shoot them less than 400 yds with 308 and 300 win mags I have up too 24 x 24" plates for development and practice on windy days. As things developed I started buying at steel targets from jake at Jc steel targets. Great guy and great service. He will help you get set up

Thanks

Buck

Do 12" or so. Easy to carry and handle, can make it as challenging as you want for target options with paint or stickers. 3/8" would be thick enough. 338LM with 300gr bergers dont scratch 3/8" at 400yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.