What shell holder for 300 Norma Mag

I can tell you that the #37 from RCBS is a much better fit, it is for 416 Rigby and what I have used on all of my 416 Rigby based wildcats. The Lapua and Norma mags are based off the Rigby case, so fit a lot better.
I also have the RCBS #14, it is best suited to 45-70 cases.

Cheers.

I used the LEE #8 and it was too wide and was ripping rims off. Switched to the RCBS 48 and it is a much better fit. No issues since the switch.

I have always used #48 for my 338LM including with Lapua brass so I am confused as to why the RCBS site has it listed under #14.

RCBS

SHELL HOLDER #14

Model: 9214

• .45-70 U.S. Government
  • .30-378 Weatherby Magnum
  • .338 Lapua Magnum (With Lapua Brass)
There are two rcbs shell holders for .338. I ran into this problem real quick. Federal brass uses a different shell holder than lapua or hornady for sure. So if 14 doesn't work 48 will.

There are two rcbs shell holders for .338. I ran into this problem real quick. Federal brass uses a different shell holder than lapua or hornady for sure. So if 14 doesn't work 48 will.
I currently have Norma, Peterson and ADG brass. On the picture a few posts above that is Norma brass with a #48 RCBS shell holder. There is too much play in the shellholder IMO. I haven't tried the Petersonm or ADG brass yet.

because all brass is not created the same: some a little heavier than others and its not just with the 338 LM others out there also. All depends on who's brass one is using to get the better fit. IT"S ROCKET SCIENCE !!!!!! 50% of what you read and 100% of what you see. Yes some shellholders fit better than others I have several depending on the manufacture Lyman-Redding-RCBS-Hornady-Pacific-Lee etc etc. so give them a try ! Reloaders or a HANDLOADER ???

Last edited:
I found with my original 338LM on now my 300NM. Depending on what brand of brass you have and even the lot number, there is enough tolerance in the brass that the shell holders don't always work. The chamber nicely and bolt/extractor works too. But just that couple thou on the rim edge is slightly different. Buy a couple different ones. Takes some time to order it all in...

Yes but not the original way I intended.

I tried an RCBS #14, 37 & 35 and none of those worked.

So I just got fed up trying to find a shell holder solution and bought a set of LS Large quick change plates for my Forster Co-Ax. That works like a champ. 😉
Good on you! I am not sure the difference between a .300 NM and .338 NM in Lapua brass but the RCBS #14 also did not work for the .338 NM but the Hornady #43 (for $5.99) did on my Lyman and RCBS press.

.338 Norma Mag Hornady Shellholder 1 of 2.jpg

.338 Norma Mag Hornady Shellholder 2 of 2.jpg

Good on you! I am not sure the difference between a .300 NM and .338 NM in Lapua brass but the RCBS #14 also did not work for the .338 NM but the Hornady #43 (for $5.99) did on my Lyman and RCBS press.

View attachment 360352
View attachment 360353
I may give that a try so I have the option of using on another press if I'd like to.

Thanks Feenix! 👍🏻