What shank diameter for orgin

patross79

Forgive my ignorance on this but I am putting together a rifle on a Bighorn orgin action. I am thinking of doing a shouldered barrel (proof carbon fiber) even though it will take Savage prefits
My question is on ordering the blank, what shank size would I need for a shouldered barrel on a bighorn orgin.
TIA

My question is on ordering the blank, what shank size would I need for a shouldered barrel on a bighorn orgin.

Savage pre-fits come in 2 shank sizes; Standard (small) Shank / 1.058"-20, Large / 1.120"-20.

You can use either the 1.200" shank diameter or the 1.250" shank diameter. Both work for the small shank diameter threads. The larger diameter simply gets you more shoulder contact on the action face.

I am thinking of doing a shouldered barrel (proof carbon fiber)

Once again, reading is fundamental.

You can not use either large or small shank in the same action threads.

I am aware of the thread forms for the Savage. but...

This member is wanting to use a Proof Carbon barrel which is NOT a pre-fit, which can come with either a 1.200" shank diameter or a 1.25" diameter without threads for a SHOULDERED barrel. The threads are cut by the gunsmith to match the thread form of the action.

284-1-15SS.PROFILE.png

Thanks for setting me straight. I'll go delete my comment to avoid any confusion.

Savage pre-fits come in 2 shank sizes; Standard (small) Shank / 1.058"-20, Large / 1.120"-20.

You can use either the 1.200" shank diameter or the 1.250" shank diameter. Both work for the small shank diameter threads. The larger diameter simply gets you more shoulder contact on the action face.
Thank you, that's what I was wanting.
Appreciate your help on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.