Savage large shank for 1.5 diameter barrel?

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Last week I ran across a 33 inch long barrel witha 1.5" diameter, full bull barrel.
Assuming a barrel bedding block will be needed for this behemoth, I have been seeking an action. Someone suggested a Savage action because they make a larger shanked version. That seemed like a very good idea. Are there people on the site who have used this Savage action and hung heavy barrels from them successfully? I am assuming this is the action size for the 338 Lapua. Are there boltfaces made for this action for the .532 or standard magnum boltface, rather than the larger Lapua boltface?

WW

Nope.

Savage large-shank is only slightly larger than the small shank at 1.120 instead of 1.055.

You're going to need to have that blank turned down unless you plan on spending thousands on a custom action (like Pierce, Stiller, BAT Machine) designed for the biggest magnums like the Cheytacs.

M700 pattern actions- the vast majority of those on the market- are 1.350 in diameter for typical 1.200- 1.250 barrels.

What are the markings/stamps on the breech?

it could be done but you will have to make it a shouldered barrel instead of using a nut. might look a little funny with the barrel being fatter than the action but can be done. yes on the bolt heads and the also make the same large shank in a short action.

You could go with a BAT "L".
What is the caliber of the this Blank?
I have a couple of Kreiger 33" .338 blanks with a MTU Taper 1.45" to 1" and have Bat "M" actions. Going to turn down to 1.35" at the breach for about 12" just to fit in the McMillan XIT.

Fellow riflemen. I hope to answer all your questions and greatly appreciate all your insights. The barrel in question was one of two custom made by Pence in Indiana and fluted by Skip Otto removing 1.3 pounds in the process. The original barrel was chambered for a Colorado rancher for long range Elk hunting. This was the spare barrel, which is unchambered.
I competed in Long Range benchrest and have had experience with barrel bedding blocks which will encase this very large barrel. I don't think you can name a 338 rifle cartridge that I have not shot at NRA Whittington and to 1,000 yards I shoot the .338 Winchester magnum most accurately.
I fully realize the action being attached to this full length bull barrel will simply be smaller. The news that Remington action shanks are larger surprised me, but I am not afraid to learn, which was the purpose of asking for your advice.
Thank You,
WW

The news that Remington action shanks are larger surprised me,
To clarify- they're not. Savage receiver OD and small shank barrel tenon diameter is the same as the M700 pattern receivers- 1-1/16". Savages are 20 TPI, factory M700 is 16, and pattern receivers can be 16, 18, or 20.
The large shank Savage tenon is larger at 1.120 as stated above, but the receiver OD is unchanged, so it will have the same visual appearance with the 1.5" barrel.

The Savages I own have shouldered barrels, which of course remains an option for you same as you would do with an M700 pattern receiver.

I shoot a 32" Marksman Palma contour barrel, no fluting, on a Savage 338 Lapua action. That barrel weighs about 6 lbs. I also have an old gas gun suppressor, 1.5 pounds, screwed onto the end of the barrel. The barrel is free floated, not bedded. Chambered in 28 Nosler. I haven't had any problems with this setup.

Savage probably won't sell you a standard magnum bolt head, but you can get one from Pacific Tool and Gauge for about $75. If you plan to shoot any large (.550" case diameter) ultra-magnum rebated rim type cartridges you should probable have them machine a bolt head with the longer (.550") 338 Lapua-style lugs, rather than the .500" lugs used for standard (.513" case diameter) magnums. A custom bolthead will run you about $125.

I am assuming this is the action size for the 338 Lapua
Yes and no, all the Savage Lapua actions are large shank actions, but not all large shank actions can necessarily handle a Lapua (.585) case. Savage Lapua actions go through a hardening process unique to them to help prevent lug set back, which from what I'm told still has a marked tendency to happen. A 1.5 barrel is designed to be hung on at least a 1.6 diameter action. So as someone else said, you're normally talking about a Cheytac sized action. If there is nowhere on the action for the barrel to bear against then there is no real advantage to using barrel diameter that size. The other question is if you're going to be using this on a benchrest or F class setup, I assume you're going to be using long heavy for caliber bullets. Will the twist rate of the barrel handle the bullets you're planning on using? Also do you have confirmation on all those specs? Even on a barrel that size it's kind of hard to believe that fluting could remove that much weight unless the fluting was insanely deep.

By the way that barrel might have been floating around for quite some time because if I recall correctly didn't Skip Otto die about a decade ago?

Hello,
Last week I ran across a 33 inch long barrel witha 1.5" diameter, full bull barrel.
Assuming a barrel bedding block will be needed for this behemoth, I have been seeking an action. Someone suggested a Savage action because they make a larger shanked version. That seemed like a very good idea. Are there people on the site who have used this Savage action and hung heavy barrels from them successfully? I am assuming this is the action size for the 338 Lapua. Are there boltfaces made for this action for the .532 or standard magnum boltface, rather than the larger Lapua boltface?

WW
I have a 32" x 1 1/4" on a short Remington 700
total free floating barrel and extra long forend. Didn't need any blocks just a really good stock

Recent Posts