What scope do you recommend that has over 20x zoom?

teddy12b

I'm looking for a scope to use only for the range out to 1000 yards. I have a scope that goes up to 14x and that's fine, but I'd like to be able to zoom out more since I'm trying to shoot out to 1000 yards. This scope will be a safe queen besides range use.

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but my searching skills aren't that good I guess because I didn't find any other topics like this.

I know all this comes down to how much $$ are you willing to spend. Well I don't mind spending more than $200 on a mueller, but I do mind spending $1000 for a leupold.

I'm looking for something in the middle, but above all I want something that works! I'm after function more than finish.

I want reasonably clear glass without getting cloudy when maxed out.
I want the click adjustments to be accurate.
The focusing stuff I don't really care about as long as the scope does focus.
Cosmetically I don't care what it looks like.

Ideally less than $400, but definately less than $500. It seems like after a certain price point it's hard to find good reviews on scopes. I like to read at least 4 or 5 reviews about a scope before buying one.

Teddy,
It's going to be pretty hard to find a quality scope with repeatability for dialing elevation to 1000yards for $400.00. While I have not had good luck with the Sightron S 2, I think you should look at the S 3 new model at $ 700.00 It is getting very good reveiws from those that are using them. I have looked thru this scope, and the glass was good. Others on this sight are using them and say they are repeatable.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the rifle this scope will be on has a 20MOA rail, so I'm not worried too much about the scope having enough elevation adjustment.

I stumbled across the super sniper 20X yesterday and gave that some thought, but I'd rather have a variable power scope. I'm going to keep thinking about it though because the super sniper scopes have a pretty good reputation from what I've heard.

when i started to read your post, the Super Sniper was the only scope that came to mind. for 300 dollars, it IS the best value in scope optics. if it's not a hunting gun, why would you need a variable? the others mentioned are great scopes, but not in your projected budget. it's everything you described. glass is not top end but the repeatability is as good as it gets. this is what quite a few have stated on many reviews i have read about them. i don't have one yet, but plan to put one on my long range gun this summer.

I agree if you want something in 20X I would go with the Super Sniper also. I have it in the 16X and love it for the price you can't find any better scope. It will stay true to its zero no matter how many times you adjust it. I am sold on them and have a hard time going to anything else.
101_1552.jpg

I stumbled across the Weaver classic V 6-24 tonight. I think I may have found my scope. I used to have a classic v 4-16 fine reticle that was a great scope, but I had to sell it.

Currently the highest power scope I have now is a 14x. I've had a buckmaster that went to 18x, but I think if I'm going to buy a scope specifically for long range I want more power than the 18x.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.