Ran out of scope elevation travel what do you recommend?

Winkfish

Good morning,
I have a 20MOA nightforce rail mounted to the top of the action with Tally mid height rings right now. The scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP, in mils. The center of the bore to the center of the scope is right at about 2".

I went an sighted in the rifle the other day and I noticed that when I have the rifle zeroed at 100 yards I only have about 6.3 mills of elevation travel left in the scope which will only get me out to about 900 yards. I would like to maintain a 100 yard zero and if I can get close to a mile that would be great.

My daughter wasn't to try some PRS events this year and this would be the rifle that she would use. It is a 6mm creed, pushing a 108gr ELD-M at 3025.

Would you recommend swapping out the base with a 40MOA and going with lower rings or would you do something different?

Thanks for your Input.

20200227_191235.jpg

Change scope and get the lowest rings you can.

You need around 28 mils for a mile and that would require a more expensive scope. I don't like canted rails so I avoid them if I can by buying a scope with more elevation.

I would suggest lower rings as well.

Are you sure that rail is 20 moa?

How much elevation adjustment is that scope spec'd for?

If I run the numbers for 1000 yards I need 7.3mils and 1400 yards I will need just under 14. If I can get there through dialing that would be great. Since I have the scope I would really like to not have to buy another one.

The action is a howa 1500 and I am not finding any options right off for a base with 30 or 40 MOA.

I was surprised as well. I had this on a 308 before and I was in the first round of elevation travel now that I moved it over I am in the third. According to the vortex site i have about 19 mils of total travel.

Good morning,
I have a 20MOA nightforce rail mounted to the top of the action with Tally mid height rings right now. The scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP, in mils. The center of the bore to the center of the scope is right at about 2".

I went an sighted in the rifle the other day and I noticed that when I have the rifle zeroed at 100 yards I only have about 6.3 mills of elevation travel left in the scope which will only get me out to about 900 yards. I would like to maintain a 100 yard zero and if I can get close to a mile that would be great.

My daughter wasn't to try some PRS events this year and this would be the rifle that she would use. It is a 6mm creed, pushing a 108gr ELD-M at 3025.

Would you recommend swapping out the base with a 40MOA and going with lower rings or would you do something different?

Thanks for your Input.

View attachment 178498
I feel a new rail would be the quickest easiest and cheapest route for you

EGWguns.com can make a 30 moa rail. And then Cody brown beat me to the punch on the rings. That scope looks really high to me. The Burris rings might be the better option to get that scope down and give you mor cant. I used a vortex hst for a few years and I realized that scope just really doesn't have much travel. So I bought a sightron s3 with a lot more travel.

Thanks for that link. I didn't see it when I was on their website before. I see I can order a 40moa rail with a 3 week lead time. 20 additional MOA with lower rings would get me where I think would be a good spot.

If my daughter likes it, I may consider upgrading the scope. I thought this may be a good starter setup for her to get her feet wet.

You would be money ahead just guying the Burris rings with inserts. It could easily give you an additional 30 moa, and also get the scope mounted lower on the barrel. I have to imagine unless the stock has an adjustable cheekpiece it's gotta be pretty hard to line up with the scope the way it is, especially for someone who isn't an adult.

Yes I have the action sitting in a KRG Bravo stock with an adjustable cheek piece.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

I am guessing that I should go with the low or 1" offset rings

I see I can order the rings for about $100. That may be a good starting point where I can keep the existing 20MOA rail that I have and if I want I can reuse those ring for another project later if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.