What rifles are you planning to use in the 23/24 deer seaon?

Will be using 7mm RM and 7mm08 stainless. I did camo on stocks myself! This will be the 7mm08 first season.
I dig that camo, I just painted a few myself. Black is boring🤣
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
If I had to shoot some deers I would use this;
IMG_1704.JPGIMG_2034.JPG

I am real old & like to sit & wait at some comfortable hidden spot, on private land(s).

It's a 6.5 CM, 8 twist, shooting 123 SST's & 123 ELDM's just under 3,000 fps. My self-imposed max range for deers is 400 but I might make exceptions to extend to 500. Hefty at 10 pounds plus but ok for short hikes.

Note the exceptional grain flow in the plywood stock near the red colored wood (joke :cool:)

Last edited:
Pre-64 mod 70 in 06
Pre-64 mod 88 in 308
Pre-64 mod 70 in 264win
Full custom 700 in 280, built on a Rem Ti action
Abolt Ti in 270wsm

In Va, mainly the 280, but my new to me 264win will also get carried a bunch

I'll take the 06, or 308 to Pa., and the 270wsm in case the weather gets nasty.

Colorado MD hunt mid November, 280ai, Wby BC

Same rifle I've been using since I got it new in 1963, a Mannlicher-Schonauer MCA , double set trigger, in 30-06 topped with a Griffin and Howe detachable mount holding a Zeiss 3x9. Haven't found I needed anything else for deer/bear and elk in all those years. When I find something that works I tend to stick with it.

I enjoy seeing different set ups used for deer. I'll start with my 1885 high wall 6mm creedmoor using a 88 hammer hunter for field sits. And for drives and foul weather I'll be using my m77 Hawkeye 25-06 running a 90 absolute hammer. View attachment 496617View attachment 496618
Well, The WINNER so far is the OP's High Wall. Such a classic single shot.

I'm getting old and going light. My "deer" rifle here started out as this ALTUS custom 6.5 Creedmoor. In my effort to lighten it up more, I sold the fantastic Manners Elite stock and replaced it with the sweet Lone Peak stock. Swapped the Z6 Swaro for the Z5 Swaro. She's a dream now.

When hunting in the woods where shots are usually 100 or less-Remington ultra Muzzle loader
After that it will probably be my
Weatherby 257
Savage 116 7 mag
Remington SPS 7STW

This one is one going to Wyoming on elk hunt Oct 1st. But I would use it on deer if long enough shot.
SPR 300 RUM

That's a beautiful rifle…..does the rifling on the "outside" of the barrel help with bullet stabilization? 😉😁 memtb

Well, The WINNER so far is the OP's High Wall. Such a classic single shot.

I'm getting old and going light. My "deer" rifle here started out as this ALTUS custom 6.5 Creedmoor. In my effort to lighten it up more, I sold the fantastic Manners Elite stock and replaced it with the sweet Lone Peak stock. Swapped the Z6 Swaro for the Z5 Swaro. She's a dream now.

Shoots real good…..what is the total weight when carried in the field? memtb