What rear rest is everyone using for load development and in the field? Thoughts on Protektor, Hunters Wedge, etc?

fnlights

Curious what rear rest everyone is using for each application. I assume that this is one of those scenarios where there really is not a right answer.

I am considering buying a Protektor for load development and the Hunters Wedge with the Git Lite for hunting. Does anyone do anything similar to this? I feel like the extra weight of the Protektor and the solid base will make it better off of the bench compared to the Wedge.

The Hunters Wedge seems pricey, but I don't mind paying for a great product that can make my shots in the field better.

I haven't done any load developement yet as I am new to reloading but I was considering a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 for the range, is that a poor idea compared to those here?

I haven't done any load developement yet as I am new to reloading but I was considering a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 for the range, is that a poor idea compared to those here?
yes your rifle needs to recoil the lead sled can damage scopes, stocks, cause bedding issues, bags are much better, guys in PRS, BR, ect let the rifle recoil, I would advise against a lead sled, but that's me rifle management is important

Same as most above - bipod up front and armageddon game changer in the back. Schmedium in heavy fill.

I have a Protektor too but rarely take it for load dev. My range inclines pretty significantly as you get further out. The game changer is nice to rotate / adjust from the rear, less time tweaking the bipod.

Last edited:

Recent Posts