What picatinny for RUM

375fan

What picatinny rail do I need for a M70 300RUM? The action is same length as my M70 300wm (which is called a long action). However the port is longer on the RUM and holes for bases(front to back) are spaced further apart. Have a Leupold long action picatinny on the wm and no way will it work on the RUM, called Leupold tech services and they confirmed they don't make one to fit. Would order a NF , they list a short and long version, does their long fit the RUM? Will call them Monday. I know there has to be someone on here that uses M70 in ultra mag that can help me.
Thanks, Jeff

Judging by your question, there is a problem with a M70 long action in a RUM size caliber. Does that mean a m70 long action cannot be used for a 338 edge? Did Win produce a beefier action just for the RUM's? Or is it the ejection port modification that made the sight base hole out of alignment?

I was planning on turning my 300 win mag action into a 338 edge and I would like to know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Some of the new actions I have seen on the mod 70's actually use the FN action. Its spaced differantly than the standard Win 70 long action. Had this problem a while back with a Mod 70 in .308 HB Not sure exactly what model it was but the rail from the FN fit.
Here is a link to what the action actually was.

FN A1 SPR

Check it out and see if it will work. Not sure that is the exact model but the long action in that model is what rail it actually took.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.