HELP!! What scope and power for new sendero 300 rum?

win270wsm

I have just purchased a Remington sendero in 300 rum. Now I am looking at purchasing a scope for this rifle. gun will mostly be used for hunting whitetails out to 600 yards maybe a little farther depending how good i am able to shoot the gun. Also, hoping to use gun on an elk hunt someday. I am looking at a price range of $1000. Am leaning toward a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 w/z800 reticle. but don't know if that is a large enough power to judge a deer accurately at that distance. Do i need to up grade to a 6.5-20. not set on power or band any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have just purchased a Remington sendero in 300 rum. Now I am looking at purchasing a scope for this rifle. gun will mostly be used for hunting whitetails out to 600 yards maybe a little farther depending how good i am able to shoot the gun. Also, hoping to use gun on an elk hunt someday. I am looking at a price range of $1000. Am leaning toward a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 w/z800 reticle. but don't know if that is a large enough power to judge a deer accurately at that distance. Do i need to up grade to a 6.5-20. not set on power or band any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have two 6.5-20x50 conquests and they are great scopes. I use them for long range hunting in Idaho. The only downside for you might be limited field of view for quicker close up shots? Out to 600 yards, the 4.5-14 might be a better option. Beyond that, the 6.5-20.........Rich

I am loving the 6-24 variable range. You do not really NEED it but it sure is nice when your sizing them up at distance. Check out the vortex pst if you haven't. Good luck.

the viper pst 6-24x50 ffp sounds looks really good to me. how does the glass compare to the zeiss conquest in 6-20x50. all hope is appreciated. like what i hear about the ffp type of scope.

In my experience, a riflescope is not a good substitute for a spotting scope. I recommend the lower power rifle scope - ample magnification for long range shot placement, plus wide field of view when you're in the woods.

If you don't already have one, invest in a good 18-32x60 spotting scope and lightweight tripod. You'll be far more effective spotting and judging big game with that.

Just ordered a vortex pst 6-24x50 ffp. Now waiting on it to come in. Any idea on what rings and bases to mount this to my sendero 300 rum

Just ordered a vortex pst 6-24x50 ffp. Now waiting on it to come in. Any idea on what rings and bases to mount this to my sendero 300 rum

This will show you how I mounted my Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

This is what I did to protect the objective lens.
I screwed a good quality UV camera filter into my 50mm objective lens to protect it and only have to clean it. There is only a very slight difference in light transmission which I can notice at 1,000 yds. I never have to worry about scratching the lens only the filter.

joseph

Attachments

• uv filter .JPG
    uv filter .JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.