What is your favorite hunting knife?

I always just sharpen my own knives. I heard that if you send any Buck knife back to the factory, they will sharpen it for free and send it back.

Since I have more than 1 Buck, I have thought about doing this. Do you think the factory could get it sharper than I could on a standard V-Block style sharpener?

As a side note; some of you guys really impress me with the amount of animals you have butchered. Those numbers are way above my own.

If you like Havalon knives, today's flyer from Cabelas has them at 15% off till Dec 2. Free shipping per the ad.

I always just sharpen my own knives. I heard that if you send any Buck knife back to the factory, they will sharpen it for free and send it back.

Since I have more than 1 Buck, I have thought about doing this. Do you think the factory could get it sharper than I could on a standard V-Block style sharpener?

As a side note; some of you guys really impress me with the amount of animals you have butchered. Those numbers are way above my own.

I would not send a knife in for general sharpening esp if I am capable. I've only sent one knife in to the factory for sharpening and it was a beat up s60v kershaw partial serated knife I picked up off ebay. I really didn't need it to be sharpened but more so needed it to be re-edged. When I got it back sharpness was OK, but they did iron out the dings which would be absolute hell to do with steel that hard and esp w/ the fine stones I have.

I have a Buck model 110 and a Gerber with guthook just for Virginia whitetails...I use a Wicked Edge knife sharpening system to keep all my knives sharp enough to shave with...and that ain't no joke. That is a remarkable knife sharpening tool, and it works very quick...

I have a high end bench made full tang tactical knife that has been used on many a pig. Having said that,I do not believe that is what you are looking for... I choose not to sharpen knives when I can keep from it. The plethora of hunting/skinning knives with replaceable razors are a blessing.

Used various Buck's since the 70s. Have one my brother gave me, I've been using for the last 15 years. I like the weight and feel (or the fact that you can feel with them). I have a Havalon with the heavier blade. Too much hassle around a down animal, with having to change blades, etc. The Buck is faster for me. I save the Havalon for capping stuff.

Of all the knives I have used over the years, from Buck to Gerber to Havalon, nothing beats a Chris Reeve Nyala. In my opinion it's the perfect size, blade shape and steel (s35vn)

The larger skinner hand me down from dad. I helped make the caper Schmidt Knives MT, the older is Track knife but made by same maker

Attachments

• P1310019.jpg
    P1310019.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 116
I prefer the havalon, this was my first year using one, i will never go back to my old bucks. I dont enjoy having to stop in the middle of quartering/boning an animal to sharpen a knife. This year i was able to help bone/skin 6 elk and 4 deer, i have used 5 blades, very happy camper here.

Havalon for sure, although I only using it for skinning and deboning. I use a Buck folding for gutting whitetails here in Wisconsin.

Mine is the other way around. Havalon brand is now my primary hunting and fishing knives. :D

So it mine backed with an Outdoor Edge folder. I have an old Buck 110 in the drawer.

With the advent of replaceable blade knives, the old style 'you sharpen it' is just that..... old.

So it mine backed with an Outdoor Edge folder. I have an old Buck 110 in the drawer.

With the advent of replaceable blade knives, the old style 'you sharpen it' is just that..... old.

Of course, that OE has better steel.

I'll take a high quality knife over a havalon every time. Seems most of you who are enamored by the replaceable blade knives have only dealt w/ lesser quality steel in your knives. There is an entire world beyond 420 steel.

to each his own.

Thats a fair statement, however, I prefer to renew the edge instantly by snapping on a new blade rather than honing.

I'm old but not that old school.

Last Christmas my daughter bought me a Buck 135 Paklite Caper. I used it yesterday to gut one buck then skin it, and debone it. Held a nice edge thecwhole time.