What is your baseline zero a dial adjustable scope?

what distance do you zero your crosshairs at?

Votes: 82 76.6%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 17 15.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
How high are you at 100 yds? What size animals are you hunting? I think it depends on the game.

I'll jump in here and give my answer …..which is likely very similar to Rich's answer.

About 3 1/2" high at 100 peaking out at about 4 1/2" at around 150 to 170 yards, zero at 300, about 9 1/2" low at 400 yards. None of these should present a problem on big game, if the hunter maintains a degree of composure!

We've used this method for many years…..working quite well from Pronghorns (similar in size to a small Whitetail) up through moose. If you judge the range to be near 400 yards …..simply hold a bit high! The biggest issue that we've found is to overshoot small stuff, like Coyotes/Prairie Dogs at around the 150 to 170 yard range. You just have to "THINK" about what you're doing…..and simply hold a bit low! memtb

I "0" each firearm dependent upon use. For a mile gun I'll 0 at 1k. For 1k gun I'll 0 at 700. Depending cartridge it can be between 100-300 yards. The optics I use lets me adjust up or down without touching dials. If the optic doesn't have drops above the "T" then I 0 according to what it lets me.

You use reticle holds to 1200?
Yes, with a MPBR of 12" and decently flat 28 Nos, 7STW (the 28N real father from the alley behind the bar), and a 300RUM. Impact 29 and EBR7C. I dont feel there is any difference in a hold aiming point or the center aiming point. I click scopes I just dont like clicking my hunting scope if I dont have to.

KISS supporter.
If the scope has turrets, 100 yards or meters, MOA or MILS.
Old school scopes, typical cartridge, MPBR method, with 8" zone. 250 yards works well.
Two exceptions: 350 Rem Mag & 375 H&H Mag. 100 yards - low power optics.
So, I answered "250" on the survey.

On the old '06, I always zeroed at 200 with a fixed scope. With an adjustable, it's 100. When I'm hunting elk size animals, I dial it for 400 yards. That way my point blank is no further than 4" high or low from 100 out to 500 yards. I might add, I'm shooting a RUM with a lighter mono leaving the muzzle at almost 3500. I limit my max range on that load to 800, though!
Could you post the chart on that? Can't make it work on my Hornady 4DOF.

Thanks!

Yes, with a MPBR of 12" and decently flat 28 Nos, 7STW (the 28N real father from the alley behind the bar), and a 300RUM. Impact 29 and EBR7C. I dont feel there is any difference in a hold aiming point or the center aiming point. I click scopes I just dont like clicking my hunting scope if I dont have to.
Impressive to hold wind and that much elevation consistently on game!

For those of you annoyed by "another sighting in thread", you will note:

I started this off with "I am doing a little research." That means I want quantitative data and I want it in one spot without reading 5 other threads and countless posts that may or may not answer the question.

If your thought is I am being "lazy", no I want a structured oragnized data hence a poll. Last I checked, nobody has been compelled to respond.

I have learned alot and I appreciate the responses. Thanks for your participation.

Recent Posts