• 45-54

Votes: 849 22.9%
  • 55-64

Votes: 810 21.9%
  • 65+

Votes: 313 8.4%

• Total voters
Hey Methow Packer,

Its simple and HARD. SIMPLY make up your mind that ya GOTTA do it, then push, push, push, push. From what I've been told, were still "youngins" according to the fellas in their 80s.
I'll go with that.
NEVER,EVER, give up, just REST occasionally.

I'm 63 trying to be 40. It's hard to keep up some days. I don't want to slow down too much. Afraid I won't get going again.:)

I just got back from a 10 day Spring Bear hunt in the Wallowa Mtns. in
North Eastern, Oregon. It was also a Turkey hunt.
The altitude is 4200 feet. Flat spots at a premium.

The fellows I hunt with at in the 30 to 55 age bracket. So
at age 81 there is no way I can keep up. I hunt mostly
by myself and that is slow. By moving slow and deliberate
I see as much game..

hey 1 Hunter, I always thought slow was good when hunting. whether it is game or criminals. you always see so much more.

glad you had a good time.

I moved to a ranch near Glass Butte. 9 miles of BAD BAD road. nearest neighbor is 8 miles away. wont be goin to the cossa range much. don't need to now. shoot off the front porch as far as I want. have berms out to 600 yards. PEACEFUL. fair number of coyotes, cougar, wolf or two, rabbits, squirrels, chucks, birds, you know, everything that lives out here.

if your comin out this way, send me an email.

Fred 64 and Hunterbob

We will miss you at the range, Fred 64, come when you can.

Yes, the trip to Sled Springs was a good one as usual.
My son got a big Tom. He had to sneak in on him, apparently
our calling leaves a little to be desired, going to have to study
a little harder. Seems they prefer the company of the deer and elk.
They probably have all the hens bred.

Hey Methow Packer, as you know, some days are diamonds, other days are just stones. Part of it is in our mind, and lots of the time, its in our bones. Ha ha ha

And 1Hunter, Im hoping to be at the range a couple times in July. I will let you know. And by the by. I have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12X42 scope with the TDS reticle. Just mounted it on my tack driver cheap Vanguard 30-06. I should live so long to be so lucky twice to get a scope like this one.

And HunterBob, I totally agree with you, on both counts.

IT IS SO PEACEFUL OUT HERE.

youall have a great evening.

Fred 64 I look forward to seeing you.

I went to my first tournament at the Hi-power Nosler range Saturday.

I have shot tons of Archery Tournaments from club shoots to World Tournaments.
Nothing I did previously prepared me for the arduous time spent in the prone
position. I could not see through the scope half the time and ended up looking at the sage brush 20 yards away the rest of the time. I did see the target occasionally.

I won't mention the number of shooters we had. I suspect that there were more
people at the sight-in range.

Note! the prone position is not the preferred position for Eighty One year old's.
From now on it's the shooting bench or my tripod standing.

Last edited:
hey 1Hunter, I know what your saying about the prone position. I wanted to try the high power rifle competition, but with the fusion in my neck, I just cant, unless I want a HUGE headache, and I have enough of those without making one. so I just don't even bother. but what the heck, you gave it a shot---pun intended.:D

hey 1Hunter, I know what your saying about the prone position. I wanted to try the high power rifle competition, but with the fusion in my neck, I just cant, unless I want a HUGE headache, and I have enough of those without making one. so I just don't even bother. but what the heck, you gave it a shot---pun intended.:D

Aw that I did, Lad. You got yotes we could shoot?

Mr. 1Hunter Sir, I wish I could say that there is lots of yotes. But there just isn't. there are a few, but very few, and they aren't coming in. Don't know why yet, but they just aren't . there is at least 1 lion, and there are 2 wolves, but not much else. it may be the wolves have something to do with the coyote thing. aren't many deer either. might just be a down year. so I quite getting up early and going out. even the jack rabbits are few, but there are a lot of cottontails, and a few golden eagles.

Fred 64, just an idea.

While we were over at Sled Springs bear and turkey hunting, we saw a lot of deer
and elk.

My son and I drew tags for the Fall Buck Rifle hunt, over there. That should be a productive hunt.

Well shucks 1Hunter, sounds like you will have a great time. Good luck.
Did I tell you I managed to acquire a Schmidt & Bender Klasic 3-12X40 high end scope? Got it through a friend of mine. Hot diggety dog, I NEVER ever thought I would have such a high quality optic. I put it on my tack driver Vanguard 30-06. It has that reticle I think they call TDS. LOVE IT. gun):D:D:)

I just love this stuff.