What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

• MOA

Votes: 835 80.8%
  • mRad

Votes: 199 19.2%

• Total voters
That's fine. But since this is a hunting site I think hunting. If this was bench rest central I would have recommended fine cross hairs. But you need to remember that a duplex is NOT a calibrated reticle like this thread is about so if the thread was about what type of turret you used that would be different. You actually have the two confused. I enjoy benchrest as well. Bit it is a different animal. The skills required to be great at that is different than lr hunting as is the equipment. They don't interchange very much.

That's fine. But since this is a hunting site I think hunting. If this was bench rest central I would have recommended fine cross hairs. But you need to remember that a duplex is NOT a calibrated reticle like this thread is about so if the thread was about what type of turret you used that would be different. You actually have the two confused. I enjoy benchrest as well. Bit it is a different animal. The skills required to be great at that is different than lr hunting as is the equipment. They don't interchange very much.

Well, excuse me. I simply made a comment & explained why I made the comment. However, it is a long range hunting site & I enjoy shooting long range. If I think different than you, that is my right. I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with that. BTW... turning those turret knobs, is a form of calibrating & I still don't care for MRAD.

No, it seems like your getting upset. I'm not at all worried about which you choose. I'm not saying either way. I'm very glad you have the freedom to choose and was only mentioning the fact that I miss assumed. I'm just saying that since its a hunting site I was fiquring you were shooting differently. Turrets and reticle are different things and you van mismatch. So don't act like I'm steering you around. The thread is about calibrated reticle, some very talented shooters shoot mil reticle and moa turrets. Please continue to enjoy you moa turrets. But no matter the style of shooting you do.....moa turrets are not calibrated reticle. They are different and I was just pointing out better ways to use it. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not trying to tell yiy different. But when a poll asks which reticle you like you don't have to answer which turrets you like. They are different. I shoot benchrest as well. Maybe I will get to shoot over your way one day.

Wow, I cannot believe what people are posting about the mill-dot reticle. Some of these post sound like they came from NASA Mathematicians. Correct or not they seem more confusing to people who use these post to decide what is best for their purpose. Mill-dot scopes are mainly used for estimating range. Estimating range of a target is critical in order to correct for the path of the bullet compensating for drop /wind drift of a projectile. Most mill-dot scopes are adjusted in MOA like one click= ¼ moa. They can be used exactly as a standard reticle for a known target distance. The advantage of a mill-dot reticle is estimating the range of a target that is unknown by using the size of the target by the number of mil-dots that is covered by the target.
Example: a 36"target will cover 10 mill-dots in a target at 100 yards if that same 36" target only covers 2 mill-dots the target is 500yards away, because the farther a target is the smaller it appears in the scope. Once the range is known the shooter can compensate for the bullet drop with either clicking the turrets in MOA or using the fixed reference points (mill-dots) in the scope for holdover.
Example 2: In my 30.06 24" bbl. Using a cartridge bullet combo zeroed at 25 yards, altitude 7100 feet above sea level,150 gr SPBT MV.3080fps 25%humidity 59deg.F, look angle o-deg. The bullet drop will be about 20" 3.75 MOA or 1.5 mill-dots I can click in using the MOA turret or I can hold 1.5 mill-dots in the scope to engage the target. There are many factors that are needed for long range target engagement like wind drift etc.. These are also determined by MOA or Mill-dots But Mill-dots can be used without taking your eyes off the target (if your memory is good remembering bullet drop at different ranges. lol) IMHO a Mill-DOT MASTER (rt) slide rule should be purchased with any mill-dot scope. And you will be correctly using mill-dot system in a matter of minutes without doing any math at all.

I would recommend using a reticle to range an animal only to about 400 yds and that is only.with a lot of practice. I have ranges dead on at 875 yds before but have also been 100 yds off at 420 yds before. There are to many variables involved. If you serious about or hunting (not target shooting) then you need a quality lrf. It will save you money in ammo as well. About the only way I use a reticle to range is on my rifles sighted in for maximum point blank range. I know that if the deer takes up at least xxxmils then its close enough for my cartridge to be aimed dead on. And that's only out to 300-400 yds max. A lrf isn't much compared to a lot of ammo, a custom rifle/optic, tags, fuel, license, guide, and time spent over years. Alot of people get by with less but the cheapest lrf I recommend is the Vectronix terrapin. They work great.

Tracy, sorry if I can across harsh. I sure didn't mean to. I was just trying clear my self up just as you were doing. Sorry I was assuming you were hunting. You sound like a great reloader and bench shooter asnibhave the same thoughts you have. I'm always chasing perfection as well. I was never trying to correct you or anyone. Just trying to show how I think about things.

How do you like the fireball?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.