What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

Can we be more specific on what we mean by the ultimate 30 cal cartridge for ELR/reloading? Like how far, recoil, weight, barrel life, velocity, efficiency, purpose and etc.? Is it only the existing cartridges or we can make wildcats if money is not a concern for the sake of this discussion? One mile and below 2 miles the 30 cal (.308) is a very popular caliber for said distance and based on my own parameters and definition of an ultimate 30 cal cartridge for ELR/reloading my vote will be for 300 Norma. Two miles and beyond I'll go with 416 Barrett or 375 Cheytac.
Correction please, I meant; 1K yards and below 2k yards my vote goes to 300 Norma and beyond 2K yards it's 416 Barrett or 375 Cheytac. I'm sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

According to Marine Corps LR shooters, the 300 WM is their standard rifle for 1000+ yards. They also use several other rifles and calibers for special purpose shooting! For the 300 WM they use bullets in the 190 - 215 gn range! This appears to be most useful choice for military use! Same would apply to larger game animals.
Except that when hunting medium and large game you need a lot more energy to bring them down quickly and humanely than you do a human.

Mark and Sam on YouTube have a video of him shooting a custom 30-378 to 4000 if I remember correctly. Was shooting 250 Atips about 3250.
Take a look at the impact velocity and energy at 4000yds.

This is about shooting animals, not ringing a gong or paper. Just because you can hit it doesn't ensure a quick, clean kill reliably and repeatedly.

What would fit in a standard length action, magnum bolt face, no belt, powder capacity enough to launch 180grain bullet 3000 fps if desired?
that's my next 30 cal
The 300 PRC. The Rum is a longer case so you need a long magnum action for it.

With a lot of actions the only real issue is going to be magazine size and where the bolt stop is though.

The PRC was however specifically designed for an 06 length action.

If you have the long magnum action to build off of though it might be best because bullets are just going to get longer and heavier as time goes on.

You'll want to also do your build with a 1:8 or 1:7.5 tw barrel to take full advantage of the heavier bullets for better long range ballistics.

What would fit in a standard length action, magnum bolt face, no belt, powder capacity enough to launch 180grain bullet 3000 fps if desired?
that's my next 30 cal
300 WSM. 180gn@3k isn't very fast, that's less than factory 300 WM, and 8 of 10 Nosler book loads for 300 WSM exceed that with a 24" barrel length. You could probably get there with a 30-06AI, except it uses the standard bolt face.

IMO the barrel length you want/need would be more important to decide on first towards hitting that particular velocity target because a pretty wide range of .308 cal cases can do it.

Last edited:
The guy said ultimate not your run of the mill 300 win mag,wsm,Nosler or any of those. Ultimate should start at 300 lapua and go up not only in velocity but diminishing returns.
If your starting range is 1,200 out to 2400, yes some of the big case 30's will get you there but you're really into the realm of the .338's and 375's for optimal performance.

In case you guys forgot ... ELR is "Extreme Long Range" and that starts at 1 mile and beyond .. 1760 yards min ......

ELR is not measured by a given cartidges capacity/capability (or the shooters) and then range is applied to that certain cartridges max and called ELR ... you can do that nonsense to any cartridge and then ELR has zero meaning ...

A lot ot the cartridges mentioned here don't apply to ELR, some can barely make it much past 1k..... the 300 NMI & 300 RUM would be bare minimum to a mile and they even start to puke not much further than that

ELR starts with the 338's , h20 case capacity 110 + gr and up .....

In case you guys forgot ... ELR is "Extreme Long Range" and that starts at 1 mile and beyond .. 1760 yards min ......

ELR is not measured by a given cartidges capacity/capability (or the shooters) and then range is applied to that certain cartridges max and called ELR ... you can do that nonsense to any cartridge and then ELR has zero meaning ...

A lot ot the cartridges mentioned here don't apply to ELR, some can barely make it much past 1k..... the 300 NMI & 300 RUM would be bare minimum to a mile and they even start to puke not much further than that

C'mon man ...

Useless without pictures.gif

Tease us with some of your awesome wildcats. :cool:

I look at this different. I picked a bullet that I wanted for ELR in 30 caliber then looked at what cartridge would give me the best return on investment while mitigating recoil return. I ended up with the 230 A-tip and a 28 inch barrel 300 PRC with a proof carbon M40 contour barrel. I run the 230 grain bullet at 3080FPS with RL26. My second choice was the 250 grain 30 caliber and the 300 Norma but the recoil and the mag length was a little bit of a deterrent. Using a extended box mag or something may have solved that but the recoil and spotting shots was a little bit of my concern. I use the Gen 3 Fat Bastard brake and I can watch the impacts.

I sold my 338 Lapua after I got this dialed in because of the recoil and being able to watch the trace. Just my input for what little it may be worth.

Agreed but the op specified .30 cal so that's the discussion here.

Perhaps they'll invent a slow enough triple base powder to make full use of the 408 ct case. 40 inch gain twist HBN treated, using Peterson brass…a 7000 ft/lb 30 cal might be "neat" for 400 rounds.

But ultimately yes there's only so much you can do with a pill that small, much more efficient to go bigger.

Also yeah, what @FEENIX said, what crazy wildcats you working on these days?

Not afraid, it's just a quaint little vestigial remnant, like 3 on the tree speed column shifters and carburetors. Nice to play around with, but sadly just not modern enough for real work anymore 🤣

In more seriousness though, IMO it's unnecessary and limits using the round as a parent case, so it's kind of a dead end on the family tree. Doesn't make the 300 WM or 7RM bad at all, but why try to wildcat off them when you have better options to work off of? Belted cases shoot fine, and the belt does what it was meant to do great, there just hasn't been a need for what it does since shoulder angles exceed the IIRC 23* of the H&H. You can't stuff a 300 WM into a chamber far enough to lose it like you could a 300H&H in an old double rifle. In Africa with something that would eat you was running at you. Very solid reason to ensure positive headspace control with the belt!

Peterson got on board with their "long" brass. Great option to keep 300 WMs running, and a reason to keep making them in you like them, even more flexibility to something that works already:

I started with 30-06, so when I added 300 RUM the 300 WM and 308 Win became essentially useless to me in that I could cover anything they can do with the other two so why spend the money on more chambers there. If someone has 308/300WM I wouldn't expect them to add a 30-06 to cover a capability gap, because there isn't one there. They're all just tools in the box.

Last edited: