What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

If you could get any powder, primer, brass, bullet, dies, etc. etc. etc....... including action, barrels..... blah blah blah.
Who cares about factory cartridges or easy to find. This is about ELR/Reloading.

What is The Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR and reloading?
300RUM or 300 Edge

Wouldn't a .300 edge just be a .300 rum? I thought the .338 edge was just a .300 rum necked up?
Yes a 300 Edge is a 300 Rum necked up. I didn't know exactly which one you would prefer. I like the 300 RUM because it's a factory round. A negative for the 300 Edge is that you have to fire form the brass. They both are good IMO. I just think if I need something bigger than a 300 RUM than why not jump up to a larger caliber. To me it's kinda like a 300 WM vs a 7 MM Rem Mag. There will all ways be a argument between the 2 on which one is better. I have both. I just never shoot the 300 WM. I bought it to add to my collection. I shot it a few times and it shoots good. I just don't see any advantage over the 7 Mag. If I need something bigger than a 7 Mag I'll just pass on the 30 cal and go to 338 or even 375. I'm not knocking the 300 WM. I think it's a great round. I just don't feel it will do anything a 7MM Rem Mag won't do.

If you could get any powder, primer, brass, bullet, dies, etc. etc. etc....... including action, barrels..... blah blah blah.
Who cares about factory cartridges or easy to find. This is about ELR/Reloading.

Texted my investment broker to BUY BUY BUY popcorn and "cold one" stocks. This thread is gonna sell a ton of each with zero resolution in sight.

Texted my investment broker to BUY BUY BUY popcorn and "cold one" stocks. This thread is gonna sell a ton of each with zero resolution in sight.
I don't know what that means but sense Brandon became president my stocks have drop about 18%. The last thing I would do is buy buy buy. We need to be saving saving saving. LoL!!!

Can we be more specific on what we mean by the ultimate 30 cal cartridge for ELR/reloading? Like how far, recoil, weight, barrel life, velocity, efficiency, purpose and etc.? Is it only the existing cartridges or we can make wildcats if money is not a concern for the sake of this discussion? One mile and below 2 miles the 30 cal (.308) is a very popular caliber for said distance and based on my own parameters and definition of an ultimate 30 cal cartridge for ELR/reloading my vote will be for 300 Norma. Two miles and beyond I'll go with 416 Barrett or 375 Cheytac.

I appreciate all the modern cartridge options mentioned. Albeit, this old timer who also owns a 300 Rum, loves my 30-338 Win. I get 3100fps with 210's and decent case life as long as I anneal. I also like how far a lb of powder goes.

Recent Posts