What is the the most flat shooting cartridge yall can think of?

So you need to qualify your question with a few more requirements. Flattest shooting means nothing unless you add a range requirement. Many examples given are extremely flat shooting to say 300 yards and then fall on their face. Such as the 17 rem, 204 etc….. out to 250 -300 yards certainly flat shooting, at +500 yards all but worthless.

You also need to include info like if your want to have a pelt friendly rifle or just want to kill the yote…. Those two criteria will greatly effect the choice of cartridge. I offer many wildcats in my custom rifles that are ultra flat shooting to 500 yards. My 25 and 26 Stalkers loaded with a 100 gr bullet at 4050-4100 fps are about as laser flat as they come to those ranges.

Someone wants to extend their range to 1/2 mile, my 27 Stalker or 7mm Allen Magnum are about the tops with proper bullet selection. If you want legit Long Range, over 1k yards, there are better options there. Need to add in a few qualifiers to get back the most useful recommendations to your questions…
Sorry you are right and I should change my original post but im looking for flattest to 400yds and I don't care about fur friendliness....quite honestly id like to blow them to pink mist if possible! I'm also not trying to use a whole pound of powder to load 4 boxes of ammo.

240wby is essentially a belted 30-06 necked down to 6mm correct? I'd like to hold on heads out to 400yds.
Pretty much.

.284 or PRC case will also get you to roughly the same places necked to 6mm. Just more work and custom dies so more $$ and time.

I suppose you could go 280AI necked down to 6MM to get the most capacity out of a 62-65MM case.

Last edited:
Have you actually tested those 163? And do let us know how that 180 turns out!!!! I'm super curious, that seems like it might be way past the point of diminishing returns regarding weight vs bc vs velocity but it's so cool that someone actually tried this and made a bullet like that! Kinda reminds me of the "Wildcat Bullets" from when Kirby Allen was entering the scene with APS cartridges, another lesser known oddball Canadian bullet company making extreme heavy for caliber long range bullets (the deceased "matrix ballistics" comes to mind as well, also Canadian weirdly enough…)
Just pressure test, thus far. I hunted successfully with the 175 Matrix VLDs out of my .270 AI. I have 165s, but have not tested them yet.

So you need to qualify your question with a few more requirements. Flattest shooting means nothing unless you add a range requirement. Many examples given are extremely flat shooting to say 300 yards and then fall on their face. Such as the 17 rem, 204 etc….. out to 250 -300 yards certainly flat shooting, at +500 yards all but worthless.

You also need to include info like if your want to have a pelt friendly rifle or just want to kill the yote…. Those two criteria will greatly effect the choice of cartridge. I offer many wildcats in my custom rifles that are ultra flat shooting to 500 yards. My 25 and 26 Stalkers loaded with a 100 gr bullet at 4050-4100 fps are about as laser flat as they come to those ranges.

Someone wants to extend their range to 1/2 mile, my 27 Stalker or 7mm Allen Magnum are about the tops with proper bullet selection. If you want legit Long Range, over 1k yards, there are better options there. Need to add in a few qualifiers to get back the most useful recommendations to your questions…
Sorry you are right and I should change my original post but im looking for flattest to 400yds and I don't care about fur friendliness....quite honestly id like to blow them to pink mist if possible! I'm also not trying to use a whole pound of powder to load 4 boxes of ammo.

While the track record for accuracy in small arms is abysmal if we're just talking pure muzzle velocity and greatest hypothetical mpbr the ultimate will be a saboted round of some kind. If only they shot worth a hoot.

There's a fella on YouTube used some of the accelerator type sabots in a handloaded .300 win mag to drive .224 cal bullets north of 5100 feet per second.
You are correct about sabots. I would like to see someone put them into a 338, 378, or any larger caliber. They should see 5280 in the rear view mirror.

Most of the time the game never knew I was there from 200 to 1000Y.
Our coyotes don't sit still. And I might be able to see 20 miles in any direction but the ground is far from flat. It's pretty easy for a dog to slip in and out of a draw in less than a second or two. Gray coyotes blend into gray broom weed and gray mesquite branches pretty well also. Shots over 500yds are rare due to the density of waist high cover. Our mature coyotes will rarely enter open fields in the daytime and if they do they are in 4th gear or higher. "Hold on hair" is a necessity.

I am a heavy bullet for caliber/chambering fan. I do not have a dedicated coyote gun (yet), but I have plenty of deer/antelope hunts that have turned into one. The farthest I have a coyote thus far is 525Y with 175 Matrix VLD at 2996 FPS out of mine .270 AI. MPBR is 261Y at 100Y sight-in per calc in #12.
View attachment 566439
View attachment 566440
View attachment 566441
I also have .25 cal (.257 WBY) with 1:7", but I currently load them with 145 Black Hole and 163 Chinchaga. I have 117s from two bullet makers if I want to go light, but I have since put it on the back burner, especially with the 180 Chinchaga coming soon. @Bghunter338

Good luck with your future build and coyote hunts.
Very impressive ballistics! How long is your barrel? If you don't mind me asking which powder are you using with the 175's? Thanks