What is the the most flat shooting cartridge yall can think of?

Just one more little poke.
With the ops stated 4" target, which of his given projectile options, loaded to saami spec, will have a greater MPBR,
I know that you know I know which one, nice poke though. L😂L!

I personally do not care for either one because I like heavy bullets and do not do point-and-shoot; I dial as required. That's why load my .257 WBY with 145 Black Hole and 163 Chinchaga. And soon the 180 Chinchaga.

I personally do not care for either one because I like heavy bullets and do not do point-and-shoot; I dial as required. That's why load my .257 WBY with 145 Black Hole and 163 Chinchaga. And soon the 180 Chinchaga.
Have you actually tested those 163? And do let us know how that 180 turns out!!!! I'm super curious, that seems like it might be way past the point of diminishing returns regarding weight vs bc vs velocity but it's so cool that someone actually tried this and made a bullet like that! Kinda reminds me of the "Wildcat Bullets" from when Kirby Allen was entering the scene with APS cartridges, another lesser known oddball Canadian bullet company making extreme heavy for caliber long range bullets (the deceased "matrix ballistics" comes to mind as well, also Canadian weirdly enough…)

Duckman knows this game, and he knows it's not easy to get to 350 and beyond with a tight +/- 2" requirement.
He's going to shoot deer with it also.
He KNOWS the answer is a very warm .257 with 85gr BT's
It'll take the right twist and a long barrel.
After lunch we will get a reply!
Phil it looks like it's gonna be a toss up between 6mm and 257. You need to get that 25ss going so I can cheat off your notes during the test!

The ONLY thing the 6mm has over the 257 is bullet selection.

I wish I always had time to dial.

Yep. For MPBR, it's about speed. Nothing to do with bc. I do believe that I once saw a smart feller pen the term,,,,,
Fastest is flattest and flattest is fastest.

For mpbr, physics doesn't allow for anything different.

@DUCKMAN11
That's not exactly true. Increasing BC makes MPBR go up faster than Increasing velocity. Trust me.... I wore the shooters calculator out the other night just punching in hypotheticals trying to come up with something that had a MPBR of 400yds on a 4" target.

I was having a conversation with a fellow member here over "flat shooting cartridges" because I've been in search of a flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination for coyotes.

I'm currently shooting a 25-06 which gives me a MPBR on a 4" target of 298yds with a 115vld. I'm switching to an 80gr barnes ttsx to see what kind of speeds I can get and hopefully stretch that MPBR a little bit more. When this barrel goes south I will probably go back with a 25-06AI or 25sherman.

I know there are some wildcats out there that could possibly be "flat-er" and a realistic choice for coyotes and would like to hear yalls opinions.

I'm not looking to neck down a 308win to 17cal or run a 110vmax in a 300rum or anything wild like that. I'd like to keep powder consumption as low as possible. Barrel life isn't a huge concern but it like to get 800 rounds out of it.

What are yalls thoughts?

If just coyotes, a 22-250AI, 22CM, 22-243 versions, 243W, 6mmRemAI, or 25-06 / 257Wby running 75-85's. For a few decades in a 25-06, I have run a 85gr NBT at 3,600fps in a 26" tube, but I have pushed them to exceed 3,700fps in that rifle. Fairly flat at my altitude, for I sight for 300yds with only 7" low at 400yds. The 80gr TTSX at 3,800fps is only 6.4" low at same.

My 22-250AI loaded with 75's running at 3,500fps is similar to the 25-06 loads, and when sighted at 300yds, it is only 6.8" low at 400yds.

A good 243 with 70-75's if fairly flat to 400 also, and my 6RemAI's are even flatter.

Recent Posts