What is the proper way? Lug

I did the above with screws out when I push back holes are center, I can push forward a tiny bit and the holes are off. I been playing with it and possibly a problem were the lug is touching the plastic stock, no bedding, I can see slight scuff marks on one side of the flat surface were the back of the lug touches. It must Not t be square to lug.I am going to bed the lug maybe to make it square?
The rear of the lug should be touching the stock, the sides and underneath should be floating with a small amount of clearance in front of the lug.
If you can pull the stock firmly into the lug and the holes are centred, then the problem lies elsewhere.
A pic of the suspect area will help. And a pic of the holes in the stock in relation to where they sit with the lug in contact with stock.

Cheers.
gun)

Sounds like there may be a problem with the bedding. Or could it be bullet weight bore twist.

What weight bullet are you shooting in the rifle?
The only experience I have with a Kimber rifle is my own Montana 300 WSM.
When I got the scope mounted. I loaded 3 different weight bullets and went to the range. 3 shot groups at 100 yds. It shot near 1 1/2" group with 150 Gr. Jacket/Core bullets. It shot 1" groups with 165 Gr. Jacket/Core bullets. It shot a .625 with 180 Gr. Sierra Jacket/Core bullets. It shoots Sierra, Hornady, Nosler Part. 180 Gr. well.
I tried to work up a load with 165 Gr. GMX Hornady and 168 Gr. E-Tip Nosler It shoots 2 1/2" to 3" groups with them. Went back to 180 Gr. Nosler Partition to go on a moose hunt. Change bullet weight may help. Good Luck on this endeavor.

129 SST shot to within 3 in 140 eldx shot 5-6in only 40 rounds shot new gun, I will clean again . I believe my lug moves when I tighten action screws. When slightly loose and can move clock wise and back a little .i now pillars should center the lug. I'm going to try lipstick on back of lug to see if I make contact square. I played with screws and I don't think it goes to the same place when tighten. Pillars look centered, I think there not touching. I might bed lug. Some pics oh while using different torque values I shot wider groups . I'd be happy with under 2 in I hunt thick woods.but when you take apart gun and put it back it's different every time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 85
It sounds like something is binding when you tighten the action screws to me.
If the lug is touching the stock and the pillars are centred, then something else, like screw tension, is causing the problem.
How tight are you tightening the screws? This can be critical on plastic stocks.
Is there clearance for the mag box? This can cause the action to bend without you knowing.
When you tighten the front screw, does the rear of the action rise in the stock, or vice versa? This indicated a problem with the lug touching, or the bedding area isn't perfectly flat.
The bottom metal on my Kimbers has a tendency to not sit correctly until the action is jiggled a little, due to their tight inletting.

How fast are you shooting when you test for groups?
Skinny barrels heat up quickly, and can 'walk' bullets as they get hotter, try shooting slower and see if it improves.

Cheers.
gun)

I am bedding lug at this time. I see the lug is not touching the plastic square. I'm gonna try this first. I tried different torque on front bolt 50-40 with five less on rear. The fifty was the best. I have been shooting two bullet groups, putting gun in snow waiting 15-20 minutes, trying again I will maybe get first bullet three in to right then second bullet high two, it changes every time .im keeping a 5-6 in group.i thought Somthing was loose, but not, barrel floated. I don't like the stock it has the trigger guard molded right in. After bedding if not better gonna try 6 lbs pressure point on barrel near end forearm. What do you think? I won't to buy new real stock but I want to make sure it's stock and not barrel. I payed $500 for gun used some girl bought for boyfriend the wrong gun and he traded in for the Kimber elite mount ion version. It was never fired. The action is pillar there is just molded plastic in there ,you can actually move it left and right when screws are loose. I like a glove fit before I tighten screws

Check the scope and mounts before you dig into bedding the stock. 4" groups are indicative of something bigly wrong (as Trump would say). I doubt the lack of bedding is causing that much of a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.