Lug setback? What am I missing?

If you fired a "65kpsi" cartridge in a chamber with a plugged barrel, no gas or projectile leaving the muzzle, would there be recoil on the bolt? Would it receive the same pressure as if there was a forward moving projectile?
In my head I see the brass grip in the chamber sharing any recoil forces with the bolt face that is happening before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This is minimal compared to the full recoil, which happens after the bullet leaves the muzzle.

If you fired a "65kpsi" cartridge in a chamber with a plugged barrel, no gas or projectile leaving the muzzle, would there be recoil on the bolt? Would it receive the same pressure as if there was a forward moving projectile?
In my head I see the brass grip in the chamber sharing any recoil forces with the bolt face that is happening before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This is minimal compared to the full recoil, which happens after the bullet leaves the muzzle.
Here's my thought, correct me if I'm wrong:
A normal 65k psi cartridge, if plugged, would turn into a much higher pressure. The lugs would feel pressure just like the bolt face feels, because they are connected. As for recoil, there has to be a direction for the force, to produce recoil in the opposite direction, so I guess whatever part failed, the recoil would be in the opposite direction.
Here is a great experiment done by VarmintAl regarding chamber wall friction.
http://www.varmintal.com/afric.htm

A normal 65k psi cartridge, if plugged, would turn into a much higher pressure. The lugs would feel pressure just like the bolt face feels, because they are connected. As for recoil, there has to be a direction for the force, to produce recoil in the opposite direction, so I guess whatever part failed, the recoil would be in the opposite direction.

Chamber wall finish is a WHOLE other ball of wax!!

True but it was mentioned so I thought I'd link the only elaborate experiment I know of
There is a WHOLE lot more experimentation but the guys who have done it guard it, much of this stuff is guarded because it takes a lot of personal skin in the game to gain the knowledge and when you help someone it just back fires in this business. Rocky Gibbs did a LOT of work on chamber finish and his work went up in smoke but we do know chamber finish was a key and why he protected his wildcat line while he was alive.

There is a WHOLE lot more experimentation but the guys who have done it guard it, much of this stuff is guarded because it takes a lot of personal skin in the game to gain the knowledge and when you help someone it just back fires in this business. Rocky Gibbs did a LOT of work on chamber finish and his work went up in smoke but we do know chamber finish was a key and why he protected his wildcat line while he was alive.
I'm sure you're right, I just can't find any other good sources. Too many regurgitate the same old stuff without any first hand knowledge or experiments cited.

This above is a perfect explanation.
Adding to it if the cartridge was only loaded down to only produce 65k and the chamber just bulged without blowing up, there would be no felt recoil at all.

Bolt thrust is pressure and area. Recoil is the momentum of the bullet and powder going down the barrel vs the resistance to that which is the weight of the gun, pressure has no bearing, you can have a low pressure round like a 45-70 destroy you or a high pressure round like a 6Br barely move the gun.
The fact that we see more recoil with a 230 gr bullet vs a 150 in a 300 RUM is because of the mass of the projectile and we all know if you drop a 230 bullet on a 150 gr bullet load you'll likely be rethinking your decisions in life. The effect of the heavier bullet is in the pressure part of the thrust calculation, it's accounted for and the load reduced to stay at the same given pressure as the lighter bullet load and this give you the same bolt thrust for each bullet because you have kept the same pressure and area for each load.

I wonder if you will see a noticable difference in recoil with a shorter barrel vs a longer one? I would think the shorter one would have less recoil since the bullet isn't in the barrel as long so doesn't have the time to "push" as much...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.