What is the MOST FUSSY cartridge...and LEAST?

My 6.5 creedmoors have all been easy. 120's to 147's in each rifle have shot well (sub moa at minimum, some loads substantially better). My .308 was a bit harder to tune in, although that's the rifle I learned to load on so I'm sure most of that difficulty was my own learning process. My 243's have all been easy enough too, insofar as they all like the same load which is handy.

Danced with a Remington XP-100 in 204. Tried Barnes varmit grenades. Different powder, primers seating depth, brass. Was ready to wrap that rifle around a fence post. In desperation I tried some hornady 32gr vmax. Stacked em at 100 yds. ***? My new 17 Remington has been the easiest. Shoots everything I make into tiny clusters. It is a custom though.

I wouldn't blame it on the cartridge by anymeans but I have built 308 that I swear is a woman, never know what kind of mood it's going to be in. One day it's easily sub 1/2 moa next it wants to be a 3/4 moa bitch. Just like a woman though I've figured out some of those little things over years of time that it likes to keep it closer to 1/2moa.
I'm with you. I have 1 308 in a bolt gun it took me a while to find the combination for but she's still temperamental. Then I have a 308 in AR that took me 8 different powders to find the right one. But when I finally found it I could do no wrong.
The easiest calibers for me have been 6.5 Grendel and 30-06. 270 hasn't been bad either. Both of my Grendel's like the same load. Seems like everything I try in 30-06 works.

Last edited:
6 BRA and 243AI have been the easiest
22/243AI was the most challenging…but that was 10yrs ago and I have come far in my understanding of what is wrong and what to change.
currently working on my wife's 22. GT, can't seem to get it under 1 inch.while my 22 Crdmr is .5 on first 100rds

Several people saying there's no fussy cartridges. Individually, yes it's probably the rifle, barrel or something not quite right. But I'd be willing to bet if there's enough responses, some patterns will emerge.

Already several 22 hornet issues. Also any of the 6mm BR type cartridges seem to be very plug and play.

I do believe cartridge design can lead to how picky a chambering is.

Most fussy was a Ruger 77 in 280. Tried about every bullet known to man. Finally sold it to a friend,cheap, he wanted to try it out, so he borrowed my dies and sized some old military brass. When he was fire forming it he was shooting one hole groups. Turned out that the thicker neck was the trick.

Easiest was a 700 Remington in .223. You couldn't find a load that shot over MOA and most were 1/2 that.

Too many variables.
Stock/Chassis
Action
Barrel:
twist rate, length, material
Bullet:
Type, weight
Powders:
????
Brass
???
Primers:
??

We have a .260 Rem that shoots a 123gr, 130 gr, 140 gr, 142gr (H-4350, BR-2) all in the same POI without changing anything on the Scope. Just lucky to have produced loads that matched. We can take four different .260 cartridges to the range, have the scope set at 100yds and then put the ballistics in for any loaded bullet.

I may be missing the point but "Easy to Load" 'Fussy" "Not Fussy"
I know some shooters that say 6mmBR with 31gr of Varget and 105 Berger Hybrid. (bullet seating, brass, twist rate, barrel length).

Since the internet we just look at what other shooters are doing for a particular cartridge/bullet/powder and Manufacture Load Data and start a load workup. I don't try to re-envent the wheel.
There is no magical equation. It takes knowledge, experience, and work!

Most finicky, ironically, has been a bone factory Nosler M48 in 270. I love everything about the rifle except I can't get it to shoot like I think it should. Will do 3/4 MOA on a number of combinations, but no better…yet. Going to bed the action next and try IMR-4831.

Easiest is a 7 SS, Lone Peak, Rock Creek bbl. Literally bug holes with 3 different bullets almost without trying. 168 and 180 VLD-H and 175 EH. Going to try the 163 ELD-X next as this rifle loves the mid-weight for caliber bullets.

Fussiest rifle cartridge 45-105-550 Remington Special Necked Creedmoor rifle rare cartridge, rare rifle, tight throat, shallow rifling 10 lb rifle 1000 yard target rifle of a bygone age.

Modern .30-378 sharp shoulder wildcat that liked to run the ragged edge of pressure with the 200 gr gamekings, that particular rifle of my dad's had to be watched like a hawk.

Easiest .375 H&H.