What is fair wait time for chamber job?

So basically you purchase barrels from a distributor at the same price as I would(i'm not a gunsmith) since they are ready to ship, where as purchasing direct from a barrel mfg, you would have to order 10? to get a discount to be able to mark it up, wait 6+ months, make sure your barrel order is the correct length, contour, twist rate, caliber, and mat'l, so you,re not stuck with inventory for a year or whatever. I would assume you get a deposit to cover these costs so you are just out your time for placing the order and you get the components you have had repeated quality with.
First...if you are ordering direct thru a manufacturer then your price shouldn't be reflecting a middleman....so there's your discount to start.....
Second....if you are ordering 10+ barrels you should have 10+ clients lined up to buy them or you are responsible for extended stock....
Third.....deposits..sure....if you haven't worked for the client before......

Shoot, maybe I should make one of these posts. I'm the guy @338 dude was talking about waiting a year. It will be a year next week that I dropped one off to be chambered and have the barrel spun on. I've been told 10+ times that he'd get to it next week, going all the way back to last July. It sucks, but what choice do I have? There's nobody else anywhere close who will do the work.

You're a better man than me....

Chamber jobs are where the money is.

Waiting a year on a chamber lol Nobody is that busy or they are a terrible business person IMO.

I would find me a well known competent/quality gunsmith and utilize USPS/UPS/FED-Ex. It's easy peasy....insure everything.

First...if you are ordering direct thru a manufacturer then your price shouldn't be reflecting a middleman....so there's your discount to start.....
Second....if you are ordering 10+ barrels you should have 10+ clients lined up to buy them or you are responsible for extended stock....
Third.....deposits..sure....if you haven't worked for the client before......
Yes. That's what I was thinking plus delay time.

Just got back a stock inlet Ive been waiting 11 mo for. It is perfect tho. The chamber fitting only took 6 weeks, tho the headspace is wrong.

Just sent a proof sendero to blue mountain precision for a chamber, thread and cerakote. I was quoted 3 weeks and received finished in 12 days after it reached him. I'm sure that's not always the case.

Think of things in the form of the ends of a triangle. At one end there's "Fast Turnaround" at another end there's "Top Quality" and on the 3rd end there's "Dirt Cheap". You usually have any 2 ends you want but never all 3. So if you want top quality and fast then it's not going to be cheap. You want it cheap and fast then forget quality. Once one understands the concept and accepts it the less frustration one will experience.

Most smith's are first come first served for the most part… the challenge they have… especially today, is they have little idea when parts for the the 30-50 builds in front of you are going to come in… add to that most smiths aren't particularly good at or enjoy the planning, business and paperwork side of the business and most of them absolutely suck at managing your expectations on turnaround time… I know for a fact that because I'm a good and regular customer for a couple of smiths that my stuff is usually the last not first… they know I have plenty of patience and other toys to play with. If I have a definitive need date I make sure they know. One of my guys does a bunch of work for competition shooters and has those schedules to contend with as well. Delays are unfortunately part of the game… some smith's are more consistent than other… some are more up front than others… I value quality work over quick turnaround… both if I can get it. I'd bird dog him until you actually get him on the phone and get a firm commitment on completion before I stated the clock over with a new smith… and in the future don't take the estimate at face value… ask lots of questions ask him about worst case and check in regularly if you have a time based requirement… good luck with the build

Shoot, maybe I should make one of these posts. I'm the guy @338 dude was talking about waiting a year. It will be a year next week that I dropped one off to be chambered and have the barrel spun on. I've been told 10+ times that he'd get to it next week, going all the way back to last July. It sucks, but what choice do I have? There's nobody else anywhere close who will do the work.
There is absolutely no way my parts would be at any smith for a year. There really are quite a few qualified smiths out there. Some have a more discrete circle. My smith had two barrels spun up for me for two different actions, both fluted, and Cerakoted. Done in 3 weeks. I wouldn't say that is his norm, however, I don't think I've seen him go past two months.

What caliber? What is so special about your job that no one close will do the work?

Stay on him, really stay on him. I let a Smith Put me off for months for having a set of rear express sights and a Barrel Band fitted and front Ramp sight fitted to my Rem 700 Safari Model Rifle. Paid in full when he said it was ready, and it never shipped. Lots of calls by me to him, no answer, Lots of E mails, No response. A YEAR, later I learned he had died. The barreled action is gone, and no one has any idea where it went. AND!!! now no one at the house will even answer the phone.