Custom rifle wait times

Couple points.

1. If you ship an action/rifle to a smith. No ffl needed for return.

2. I always try to have all my parts together so the smith does not have to order any parts that require wait times. Too many times I have seen the parts wait kill a build.

3. I just had a dasher BR rifle built by Bostrom gunsmithing in Florida. Had to wait 3 weeks to send it to them as they had 2 builds ahead of me and completed rifle was back at my house in under 3 weeks. Great work and prices.

I ordered a full custom from a builder on this site with a very good reputation. The original lead time was 12-15 months, its now been 28 months. I have received no contact from him unless I contacted him first. Needless to say my patience have warn very thin. Even when dealing with my local gun smith it seems his calendar doesnt match the rest of the worlds. I have started to think I am in the wrong profession.

I have thought about building a building and buyin a cnc lathe and mill offering a couple of the guys that I use jobs! Just let them focus on what they do and let somebody else run the business. I need a tax write off right?

I had Jim Borden out of PA build me an action and install the bbl I supplied. It was done nearly to the day of when he quoted me and the work is absolute perfection. EVERY SINGLE TIME I called he answered the phone and answered all of my questions. There are some very fine smith's out there. I found him on this site. He was highly recommended by many. Now I know why. JJ:)

Well, Now what do I do? I called again today, Friday 6/5/15 to check and see if they could give me the tracking information. They said that they haven't shipped it yet. How long does it really take to box up the parts and put a sticker on it. I'm sure UPS will pick it up at their place of business. I guess I'll give them until Wednesday of next week and then call and demand either my money back or the parts, whichever one they can do the fastest.

Sad that now, since dealing with this particular gunsmith, my hopes of taking a new rifle with me on my first pronghorn hunt are all but done. I guess need to start practicing with the old reliable .243 model 700. It shoots nice groups. It just doesn't buck the wind like I was hoping the new 7wsm would.

I did some research before settling on them. I couldn't find any negative comments about Alton Britt, the smith, and only a few about the customer service. After talking to them the first time, when I placed my order, I thought I had made a good choice. Boy was I wrong. Never again would I do business with them.

I'm really just hoping to get out of this deal with minimal hassle. Either ship the parts or give me a full refund. One or the other at this point, I don't care. Right now I'm trapped with no money and no parts.

I did some research before settling on them. I couldn't find any negative comments about Alton Britt, the smith, and only a few about the customer service. After talking to them the first time, when I placed my order, I thought I had made a good choice. Boy was I wrong. Never again would I do business with them.
Y
I'm really just hoping to get out of this deal with minimal hassle. Either ship the parts or give me a full refund. One or the other at this point, I don't care. Right now I'm trapped with no money and no parts.

Do you have a update for us?

My smith emailed today updating me that Manners has yet to ship the stock. Rifle is 2 months overdue thanks to Manners.

Yeah, I called them on Tuesday, 6/11/15, and they were very apologetic. They told me that the ATF has been there for over a month going through all their paperwork. She apologized numerous times and even told me that they "failed me as a customer". She said that she had intentions of just chambering the rifle and not charging me for it. She also said that when she went to pull the parts last week she noticed that the box from Stiller was mislabeled. The box had right hand on the label, but actually contained a left hand action. So she expedited one from Bugholes to replace it.

Needless to say, after a bunch of apologies, I agreed to let them assemble the parts into a completed barreled action. She knocked off all labor charges, so that I would essentially be paying for just the parts. She promised (not holding my breath) that everything will be done by Friday. I told her that I would be expecting something to be shipped o Friday, either the barreled action and trigger, the parts unassembled, or a check for a full refund.

I figured that if they did manage to complete the chambering part, it would save me 3-4 weeks that it would take Accurate Ordnance to complete it. I have been in communication with AO on possibly taking over the project.

I guess we'll see. At least Dixie Precision is making an effort to correct the issue. Hopefully!!!!!

...They told me that the ATF has been there for over a month going through all their paperwork. She apologized numerous times and even told me that they "failed me as a customer". She said that she had intentions of just chambering the rifle and not charging me for it. She also said that when she went to pull the parts last week she noticed that the box from Stiller was mislabeled. The box had right hand on the label, but actually contained a left hand action. So she expedited one from Bugholes to replace it...
That's the most pathetic "dog ate my homework" story I've ever heard! No question that ATF woes can shut a gun business down - permanently. But that kind of scrutiny is usually triggered by a history of sloppy paperwork - not an encouraging sign. The mislabeled box part has a ring of truth, though, because it's happened to me. Even if it's all true, her communication still sucks.

Let's see if she keeps her promise. I hate to be negative, but recent experience indicates otherwise...

If she fails you again, I think you should tell her she has 24 hours to send a refund check, or else you'll file formal complaints with the BBB, ATF and the consumer protection office of the State Department of Justice. That might get her attention.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.