Custom rifle wait times

Do you have a update for us?

My smith emailed today updating me that Manners has yet to ship the stock. Rifle is 2 months overdue thanks to Manners.

Yeah, Manners is about to break their fifth deadline with me (that they set).

Friday I will be ordering a McMillan.

FYI I am at 6 months wait time.

Back when I thought I was getting my rifle in 6-8 weeks, I felt I couldn't wait for those long lead times on a stock. I bought a Manners T2A in coyote tan that was an inventory. It has a "close enough" barrel contour to what I wanted that I thought I could live with it. I have a stock that's cut for M24 and barrel that is actually #8 Standard Target.

Don't be surprised if Mcmillan is not a long wait time also. It appears most QUALITY stock makers have a long backlog.

As far as quality goes Manners might as well send me a 2 x 4 and some zip ties. Since I can't put my hands on one of their stocks.

I found a in stock McMillan that is very close to what I'm looking for but, it is a little heavier. Or I may just go with an HS (even heavier). I have a couple of them on rifles that shoot as good as my rifle with a McMillan.

It is very frustrating to be strung along when you have several hunts coming up.

I ordered a McMillan stock in November 2014. When I ordered it they told me to expect it in about 6 months. I received it 2 months early.

I ordered a McMillan stock in November 2014. When I ordered it they told me to expect it in about 6 months. I received it 2 months early.

I would rather have a vendor tell me an extended time and be early than vise versa.

As a small business owner myself, I understand my word is my bond. This situation would NEVER happen to one of my customers. I would be embarrassed, but apparently this is acceptable in the firearm industry. I guess my standards are too high and I should except mediocre service from a company that charges top dollar.

They seem to have plenty of time and money to advertise on this site, but not to actually produce a product.

In the end never again lesson learned.

I think a lot of people get ran over in this business. Money talks and some people don't have a problem with spending it to push projects ahead of others.

Well the gun finally made it. It arrived as a barreled action ready to go. It also arrived without a copy of their FFL in the box. That had to be faxed before I could take the gun. At least it's over and all I have to do know is put it together.

Well the gun finally made it. It arrived as a barreled action ready to go. It also arrived without a copy of their FFL in the box. That had to be faxed before I could take the gun. At least it's over and all I have to do know is put it together.

Glad to hear you finally got it back. Shame they screwed up one more time by not putting the ffl in the box. Let's hope is shoots great and makes up for your trouble.

morning, food for thought. I had planned on building a custom rifle. i called the

gunsmith in Hempsteed, Tx. said he would not b able to start until end july. ok i

had ordered the barrel from shilen in advance 75 days. i have the action rem.

721 la. i ordered the trigger timmey, have the action screws torque heads,

ammo box magnum style SS the follower, warne rings and mounts SS from

brownells The stock is an A5 HS from Stocky's scope is a Burris Black Diamond

8x32x44. i will drive to Hempsteed TX. to deliver the parts. the gunsmith will

due a complete tuning job on the action, machine and crown the barrel, build a

custom muzzle brake. with me getting everything parts myself 4 months time.

this is a 1 man custom rifle builder. does outstanding work. the same smith did

the sako extractor and opened the bolt face.

Just Countrygun) our grey hair helps with patience

Glad to hear that you got it taken care of. I've always had good luck with my main gunsmith in building stuff and getting it done exactly when he said.

Recently a friend had bought a gun off of another forum in an odd/proprietary caliber. I emailed that smith (not my go to guy) about load info, reloading equipment, etc. He was always very responsive and very helpful. I loaded the rounds to his specs in charge and OAL. Gave them to the guy. Admittedly that was a mistake, and I will never do it again. But anyway, he called and said they wouldn't chamber. I told him to bring me the gun. Long story short, freebore was wayyy short from what the gunsmith told me it should be and the bolt had a bad install of a sako extractor that wasn't allowing the brass to get to the bolt face under normal bolt manipulation.

I emailed all of this to the gunsmith, with pictures. Again he couldn't have been more responsive, usually replying to the emails within the hour. He said that he could fix the chambering and the extractor. Depending on how much time the extractor took it would be between $250-$400 and only 2-3 weeks. I consulted with the owner. He was good. So I sent it out.

That was in February. Getting jammed up is one thing but what really ****es me off about this situation is that he now won't answer the emails. Before he got the parts he couldn't respond to emails fast enough. Now, he pretty much doesn't answer at all. When he does it's just "Looking at it now. Should be done soon." kinda thing. If it wasn't for the crazy caliber I would have pulled the plug on this long ago. I still might. Just feel bad for the guy I tried to help.

If you don't want to run off business with long lead times that is fine, but don't say 2 weeks and then blow people off when they ask about their gun. Be truthful at some point.

7wsm and Sherry was the person I would have to talk to. Anytime that I called, and actually made it through, they would just transfer me to Sherry. Like I said, they did end up completing the barreled action for me. And because of the bad wait time estimate they ended up not charging me for the thread, chamber and crown or any labor to assemble the barreled action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.