What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

You might want to take a look at Kershaw's line of knifes. You will pay a little more money if you buy one with S30V steel, but you will not have to sharpen them as often. Also like the cold steel knifes with the San Mia steel blades and Benchmade makes very good knives as well. S30V, CM 154, and D2 are my favorite steels for knives. You will spend more money for these, but in my opinion, they are well worth it. They will last a lifetime.

I've never enjoyed the whole "processing the deer." I've actually been up in the deer stand and looking through the scope at a deer, trying to decide whether to take this shot... and had the thought, "Do I really want to be cleaning a deer tonight?" I'm sure most of you are better at it and more efficient... I'm 61 years old and I'm happy to let my son in law do it if he is here.

Anyway, in order to make the chore more interesting and less like bloody work, I normally haul out multiple knives and let each one have a turn. I normally carry my only PS folding knife in the woods in case I have a chance to do a quick field dress out there. Discontinued long ago, Spyderco Tim Wegner.

But up at the house, time for a stack of fixed blades. I won't bore you with all the ones that end up being used briefly and then pushed aside. Seems like I always end up doing the bulk of the task with two in particular.

The discontinued Spyderco Gayle Bradley. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB33G/919

If you had just handed me this knife, I would have said, "Pretty, but not my pick." Too long, not enough belly, handle is very smooth and looks slick if bloody. The only reason I ended up with one... besides buying practically everything that says Spyderco... was that they discontinued the knife and one shop was selling them for less than half MSRP. Everybody agreed they were a high quality design and materials, so I picked one up. I still probably would have never actually used it... but it got put in the "let's try these on deer" pile one year... and really surprised me. I ended up using it a lot... and I always bring it out now when a deer needs to be done.

You can still find them for sale on places like ebay... but I doubt they will be cheap. I'm not selling mine.

So... the one that just keeps coming out for these things and they actually still produce them. A rather odd looking design... but it frigging well works great. Tops Camp Creek. https://www.bladehq.com/item--TOPS-Knives-Camp-Creek-Fixed-Blade--81890

Just seems like every year I keep trying different knives for a while... then I finally decide it is time to get this done... and the Spyderco and the Tops Camp Creek get used the rest of the way. My son in law tried my Camp Creek one year and he made sure it was at the top of his Christmas list a couple years ago... he's been using it ever since. If I was only going to get to keep one fixed blade knife for cleaning a deer... the Camp Creek would be it.

Gregg

Only a few thoughts. The Old Pumas were very good, new ones not so much. You can age them by serial number; you don't have time for that.
Ruana doesn't have many in stock. You don't have time for Randall from factory, and secondary market is a rip-off.

So, McCroskey, as mentioned, and Bob Dozier knives are a great value. Haven't had a Hella but everyone who has one seems to love them. Good luck!

I had this one made custom for best friend
20191112_151519_Original.jpeg

It will break the pelvic bone easily of big Whitetail, but elk is not happening and possibly those stocker cattle Canadian Whitetail y'all have up there. As @bamban recommended, a good knife and a saw is the best option.

I will second the Montana Knife Company, specifically the Blackfoot 2.0, numerous options for handle colors, so no chance of people getting them mixed up.

Watch the knife torture test they conduct, impressive and they usually ship the very next day on drops and the same day if they are ordered early in the morning and in stock.

I love my Benchmade Hidden Canyon. The 15017 not the -1. I like the leather sheath that comes with the S30V version.

Just used my Buck 103 yesterday to help dress out a doe. Great knife.

Guy who shot the doe was gifted and used a Buck Small Selkirk. I wish they applied the Bos heat treat to the Selkirk knives otherwise it is a great blade.

1699293593057.jpeg

The knives from left to right, enlisted Kukri ( not for hunting) MKC stonewall skinner, MKC knock on, MKC speedgoat, MKC stonewall ceracoat, Officers issue Kukri ( not for hunting). The Montana Knife Company knives are 52100 ball bearing steel. Very sharp and durable edges. The ceracoat makes it hard to lose, but for skinning the knock on is my favorite. The speedgoat with paradors handle wrap is very light and packable. They all come with Kydex sheaths.
G-10 scales on the 3 others, waterbuffalo horn on the Kukri's