What is a high velocity bullet?

It might not be precise language but the idea probably has merit.

Back in college I found a 22-284 die set with a reamer in it at a gun show, picked up some oddball blank from the same guy with a terrible twist and an even worse barrel contour. Out the door we were under 200 and off to see if my friend armed with minimal machining knowledge could make it fit. Keep in mind 15-20 years ago we had lazzeeoni and rum cartridges cranking normal size bullets. Took a long time to have widespread adaptation and development of solid quality high bc bullets.

We found out quick the 22-284 could destroy most of the budget 224 varmint bullets, and everything hornady. It was twisted for bullets under 55 grains and at the time we got nosler ballistic tips and Barnes xlc bullets to shoot out of it as well as surplus 55 grain fmjs. Some other bullets worked for a while up until the barrel started to wear (pretty fast as we were young and stupid with an overbore cartridge shooting ground squirrels).

Had issues with light for caliber bullets as my 223 wssm aged, and had problems with the original 6mm 105 a max bullets when trying to drive them hard. Come to think of it the 172 7mm amax bullets didn't give most a lot of love in the big 7mms back in the day. My first 29 inch 7 rum with a stout load destroyed them not long after barrel break in.

High velocity bullet is probably an un precise use of language but my interpretation would be bullets not designed for hyper overbore rounds. Could be an antiquated problem the days as Bullet design and construction is better and we've trended down to slightly more mild cartridges.

Not so long ago 3000-3400fps was the "Norm" for most, before I switched to Hammers I used Barnes bullets with great success and I pushed them very hard, with that being said and since my switch to Hammers anything less than 3800fps is well........ boring to me, What I do and the way I pursue things is not for everyone so take it for what its worth

This is the whole point that the High Velocity term is used loosely but can anyone of us actually "define" it?

I have sat here wondering exactly what High Velocity is and I dunno.

@Rick Richard "really really fast" is about as close as I can come as well. Or maybe really really really fast? Its a conundrum for sure.

Thanks @FEENIX , I will probably be laying in bed tonight at 2AM still wondering.
I guess I have always attributed "High Velocity" when talking about cartridges like 22-250, 220 Swift and so on. Or any round that you load that exceeds the normally accepted speeds for that cartridge …🤷🏻‍♂️. Interesting thought tho…

To my way of thinking, most hunting bullets perform 2800-1800fps. Outside that, results can be unpredictable.

Long range bullets usually expand the bottom end to 1300-1600fps.

High velocity bullets to me would extend the top end to like 3400 fps or so with minimal bottom end sacrifice.

To my way of thinking, most hunting bullets perform 2800-1800fps. Outside that, results can be unpredictable.

Long range bullets usually expand the bottom end to 1300-1600fps.

High velocity bullets to me would extend the top end to like 3400 fps or so with minimal bottom end sacrifice.
By your analogy, a .257 WBY factory ammunition that propels the 100g Hornady Interlock with an MV of 3605 FPS meets your criteria. The high velocity is attributed to the cartridge/powder capacity to propel the bullet; not because a 100g Hornady Interlock is a high-velocity bullet. Instead, the bullet has the properties to withstand those high velocities.

Last edited:
I don't know what a "High-Velocity Bullet" is , have never heard of the term used to describe the projectile itself .

I started reading Outdoors , Shooting , and Hunting magazines back in the late 1950's , and the writers of the time used the term "High-Velocity" as an adjective to describe the rifle and pistol cartridges of the time .
Generally , a centerfire rifle cartridge was called "High-Velocity" when it was capable of a muzzle velocity of 3000 FPS or higher . At that time , 3000 FPS was "The Holy Grail".
.22 Long Rifle cartridges had to be capable of 1300 FPS or higher to be labeled as H.V. Rimfire .
Also , at that time , the term "High-Velocity" for center-fire pistols was only used to describe the .357 Magnum and .44 Rem. Magnum cartridges , as they were the only 2 pistol cartridges capable of attaining 1600 FPS , in their original factory design performance parameters .

If my aging memory serves me correctly , the .357 "Magnum" cartridge was developed, and introduced during the 1930's era , and the Winchester ammunition was designed to drive a 158gr , jacketed , soft-point bullet at a velocity of 1610 FPS , from the Smith and Wesson pistols with an 8-3/8" barrel .
When the .44 Remington Magnum cartridge was developed and introduced during the 1950's , it was designed to fire the 240gr jacketed soft-point bullets at 1600 FPS when shot from the S&W Model 29 pistol with the 8-3/8" barrel .

Those were the common definitions used to describe "High-Velocity" from that time period .

Today there is no clear definition as to what is classified as "High-Velocity"