What have you used to kill chucks?

[ QUOTE ]
A dead branch that I picked up. Chased him down on the school playground and beat him to death. I believe I was in the fourth grade at the time. Brought him home in a paper bag on the school bus. Roasted him up over an open fire and tried to eat him.

[/ QUOTE ]

****, fella, we gotta get together. I'm sure two great minds like ours could come up with something that would really shake the industry.

I shot a young chuck w/that 17 I mentioned on the other thread. Use the 17 cause I could make a head shot at 300 yds, when it was shootin, thus not ruin any meat. Skin'd and kept in in a cooler all can. Cook'd it that evening. And like you said "tried" to eat it. You were way ahead of me though, I was 30 something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Roy

Problem with the two of us together is we would have no food that was fit to eat and no gun that was fit to shoot.

Although I just gotta admire any body who can crown a barrel with a valve seat grinder.

What not to shoot a chuck with -
I was up at the range this morning shooting a my Ruger #1 in 7MMM Wby that I had reset the scope on. During a break I heard a guy complaining that his new weatherby vanguard would not chamber his weatherby ammo. He had bought the gun on sale at Wally world but they had no ammo to fit it so he had bought his ammo elsewhere. At the second store he told the clerk he had just bought a 270 Weatherby and needed some ammo. The clerk sold him two boxes of 270 Weatherby. At the range the ammo would not chamber even thought the barrel was plainly marked "270W in" . He couldn't figure out why wouldn't the "270W" go "in"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't think that I'm as talented as some of you. I don't ever remember using a golf club, rocks, or a stick. But growing up in Central Oregon farmers wanted you to come out and take care of the Rock Chuck problem.

The most creative idea was I saw people actually feeding them at view parks at hydro-electric dams. Sure enough these were so tame that they would come right up to you for food. Well in the fall when they would close some of these state parks we would chum them in with food and my Dad had a Hi-Standard 22 target pistol with a many shot clip. I think that it held 12 or more rounds.

We would make bets on who could get the most. Aproach them and sit down with food. Wait and get as many of them in close as you could and then do the quick draw and see how many you could get before they ran away.

This kind of fun also led to getting attacked by a great big male. I had just handed it something to eat and it was standing up 3-4 feet away. I pulled the gun out real slow and shot it in the belly right across my lap. It let out a squeal from getting gut shot and was ****ed. They are fast, it lunged at me, I was madly shooting while trying to kick it away. I had to nearly empty the gun before it expired.

After that I never gut shot big ones from that range again with just a 22. The 6 shot semi auto 12 gauge always shut them down

Well I ain't never shot any rock chucks but once while beaver hunting me and Bill Bailey killed the largest beaver we had ever seen with a 22 rifle. I shot it 8 times with the 22lr while it was in the shallow water

When we approached the beaver I leaned out into the water to retreive him. I grabbed his foot and began dragging him toward the bank. All of a sudden I heard BJ yell and I looked back to see his brand new Baby Glock 357 Sig pointed toward the beaver.

I looked down toward the beaver to see him open mouthed preparing to attack my hand. I heard one shot ring out, actually I just heard a ringing noise and saw a large flash. I was splattered with beaver chunk and temporarly deaf.

It was a **** good shot on BJ's part, right in the temple. We never weighed the beaver but we guessed it around 80lbs. A freind of ours wanted the pelt so we took it to the taxidermist for her. He said that he weighed it at just over 100lbs. I still think he is full of it, but the SOB was huge. The 125gr hollow point never exited his head and no bullet was recoverable.

take it easy
Steve

As a teenager I once killed a groundhog with a thrown railroad spike. About a 30 yards toss from a railroad trestle to the unlucky varmint (One Toss, One Kill!.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.