What happened to gun shows?

morning, guns in general have increased in value 25%
over--20 yrs. everything in the hunting and fishing world
has increased in value. hunting leases in TX. r
2 expensive for the working man. in TX. hogs r
a $100.00 per hundred pounds. anything over
said weight in a $1.00 more. figure that!!
justme gbot tum
In California it's 750.00 but they guide you and field dress it per pig

I sell at gun shows sometimes and I do walk the show and look for deals when I can, but you cannot put that gun on your table and sell it for a profit as a private seller.

Yes you can sell for a profit, but you can't intentionally buy guns to sell for profit. You don't have to take it in the backside either just because you don't have an FFL. If you've owned the gun for awhile who is to say it hasn't appreciated in value?

I've sold used guns for a profit several times, especially a few AR rifles right after Obama got elected. Granted I had them on an auction site, but I fully intended to sell them for more than I paid. I saw it as an opportunity to downsize my collection and buy some other things I wanted more.

I've had stupid people at the range offer me more money than I've had in a rifle because they've liked it, I didn't ever once tell them that was too much money. Why would I? I've also given away rifles and sold others at a loss. My point is I didn't ever buy a single rifle with the intent to make a profit. I bought them to enjoy, and sold them when I got bored or needed money for what the market would bear. It's called capitalism!

Last edited:
"Desirable" is a very important modifier here. A generic Rem700/Win70,or all the glocks and glock clones out there etc don't increase in value (or even hold their original value) by simple virtue of age or having successfully sent rounds downrange without exploding.

Unless it has historical value, or is rare etc. it's just a tool... using it decreases the remaining useful life and the price decreases accordingly. Simple math.

Can't dispute a word you wrote and my perspective is that EVERYTHING that ANYONE has EVER owned (WRT firearms in general) has GREATLY increased in value by virtue of the fact that "THIS," (insert your preferred gun) isn't made any more or has been superseded by the next generation and THAT means THIS version is unique enough to warrant a pricing structure that is WELL above typical and normal for THAT gun!"
(Emphasis mine to make a point on how some folks feel, but it's mostly in jest. Mostly.)
When politicians are in session and anti-gun legislation is pending or up for discussion, it becomes a nightmare and percieved calamity to the gun buying public.
Panic sets in, gun sellers can sense and smell the blood in the water (metaphorically speaking) and the prices of the most obscure doo dad SKYROCKET to absolutely INSANE prices!!!
And here's the worst part.....
PEOPLE WILL PANIC BUY AT THE MERE MENTION OF A PENDING BAN OR RESTRICTIONS on ANYTHING!!
Witness the scare of .22 LR/9mm/.40S&W/.223/5.56 ammo and how other posters pointed out the continued marketing of .22LR bricks some Sad Sack bought during the panic and how they DAM*ED SURE ain't gonna sell that brick for less than what HE paid for it, much less his markup for profit!
WRT those seriously overpriced bricks of .22LR ammo, those guys are PRECISELY the ones I will literally LOL in front of them because they are nothing more than "War Profiteers," IMHO.
I understand Capitalism and don't begrudge making a profit but those types are of the notion of stripping a still-warm body and selling everything while the body is still warm AND while the poor guy's family were standing right there!
NOT COOL!!
All that said, used and REASONABLE prices for a reasonable gun are gone, I fear.
I've always said that should I decide to sell my firearms (the ones that didn't fall into the ocean from my overturned canoe you understand. HAH!) then I could make a darned pretty penny and live comfortably. I just cannot bring myself to screw people over. It just isn't in my nature.
But I need to start seriously thinking about selling the bulk of them (notwithstanding the canoe accident) as I'm not getting any younger and I might as well enjoy spending MY money as opposed to someone else selling them for FAR less than what would be reasonable prices.
Time to shaddup for now.
Thanks for putting up with the rants of an old Curmudgeon.
Overnout

Haven't been to a gun show in decades. Since I'm a resident of the SF bay area, they have virtually disappeared. Dam liberal mentality. I never bought any weapons but in the 70's, I did buy a ton of surplus WW2 30-06 LC brass so I could size them down for my 25-06. I did purchase a Fajen thumb hole claro walnut stock for the 25. Back in the 70's, there were no composite stocks to choose from. The smith who put it all together did a terrific job. Free floated Douglas Supreme target barrel, no taper just a straight tube. It;s heavy but in the day we were shooting from the hoods of our truck at varmints. The rifle will still put 5 under a nickel at 100 yds. Not bad for a gunsmith with one arm.

A lot of gun shows are the same old thing,but there usually are a couple jewels to be had.Timing is everything.If you see a gun you like towards the end of the show you are more likely to be able to haggle for a good price.Lot of the guys who have tables are really there for a social event.They came to BS and complain to their buddies about all the tire kickers.If the prices are ridiculous,I make a ridiculous offer.You never know if you don`t try.Huntz

Pawn shops are just as bad. I'm always looking for used Magnum Savages or any Savage really, and I just walk out with nothing, to just but a new one on sale from Cabelas or Sportsmans WH.

Same here. I'm looking for an older S&W Model 10 M&P but don't want to spend the equivalent of buying a new Tesla car!!
Whereas 15 years ago you could pick one up for ~ $150.00-$200.00 for a good version, the pawn shops are asking a MINIMUM of $450.00 AN UP!!
INCONCEIVABLE!
I'd Like a old Roscoe just to plink with but I'm darned sure NOT going to pay New Prices for an older model!
I wonder sometimes HOW in tarnation some of those businesses stay in business?!?

The only reason I go to gun shows anymore is if there is something I want to put my hands on before purchasing or if there is something specific I am looking for isn't available at an online retailer. Around here it's pretty much the same dealers peddling the same stuff at every show.

I haven't bought a gun at a gun show in 10+ years. I can usually find it online for 10-15% cheaper (when sales tax is factored in) for new guns and what I've found is the same as other have mentioned on private collection guns; they are usually priced at more than I am willing to pay.

... I also know some crooks out there as well. Believe it or not there are some fair dealers at gun shows but they are getting rarer. Look for the private sellers who don't have a super fancy set up and a mix of guns, offer a fair price and don't expect them to even want your trade in and you will come away happier. IMHO
I remember one seller with a good reputation tried to pawn off an old rifle as all original to one of my friends and got furious when I pointed out the not-so-obvious welding dingleberries on it. Remember what Groucho said when asked if the homes he sold could get stucco-ed, "Boy, can you get stucco-ed!"

Most parking at the shows cost $20. That's the same as my dealer charges for a Gunbroker transaction. I can buy new cheaper shipped in.
About the only deals that I've found at the shows in recent years has been with individuals walking around.
Here it is getting ridiculous what they charge for parking and than they want a $10 entrance fee on top of that. You are out already $30 and have not purchased a thing. Like you said better off paying for a transfer fee or shipping charges. Only time I go is when my brother visits as he is from a teeny tiny town in West Texas.

Very few people showing up here in MS compared to times past, but also fewer vendors actually selling GUNS at some shows. Combine that with the steady increase in admission prices, and what JE Custom said, that there are no "deals" to be found, and you honestly have to ask the question, "Why would I go to a gun show?" You're going to pay a good amount to get in, food prices (if offered) are higher than at big-box sporting events, there are fewer dealers selling, and so less (or the same) stuff at exorbitant prices. Big pawn shops are the main dealers vending at gun shows here. They take the same stuff around to every venue, and how the heck they afford to buy gas to haul all that overpriced junk, let alone stay in business, is beyond me. They ask higher than new prices for old used stuff and mist never negotiate because they keep the same things. Maybe some have gone under since the numbers vending at gun Shows is trending down.

Sellers want too much and buyers don't want to pay anything. Kinda like those who don't understand why a landowner won't allow them to go hunting for free, like it is their right. ( like buyers, everything has to be cheap).

In Il we have to run a background check so that throws a wrench into the works.

If people want to make money, hunting and fishing sales isn't the way to go.

Last edited:
Went to a show in early summer. Won't go back. Was loaded with cheap knives, trinkets, military, AR's out the waazoo, and a host of other stuff I was not seeking. I was seeking a long range rifle in 6mm and 6.5mm. I'm glad they are still going as I suspect most attendees are like minded people. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

If the vender wants to pay himself more for his rusty old blunderbuss than anybody else is willing to offer, he will make the sale to himself month after month, and will keep dragging the thing around with his pile of junk ... forever.
If anyone is daily greeted with silence on the prices of his wares, he isn't listening.

Agreed on the Tulsa Gun Show ... you've got to go once in your life. It is the one!

I have always enjoyed going to gun shows. It may be different here in Kansas. Been going to them since the early 60's while in college. Had a FFL and shop for 30 years and set up at several shows a year here in SW Ks. Met many nice people, and some became good friends. At one time we had 8 shows in the area, now there are only two. Times change and so do buyer's preferences. I have never had a problem finding good deals at a show. Yes, there are the hucksters, with their high prices. Just grin and walk on by. If you find something you want and it is close to the price you want to pay, make an offer. Most dealers I know will make a counter offer and you end up splitting the difference. You get your gun and the dealer gets some money. If they won't deal, walk away. One other thing, and I may be lucky, I have never gotten a bad check at a gun show!! I think gun loving people are some of the best!! 2nd the thoughts about the big one in Tulsa, it is amazing!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.