What happened to gun shows?

Central Texas, haven't bought anything at a gun show in over ten years. It has become a gun "exhibit" with self gratuitous prices affixed for asthetics.

Turned into a flea market with exhibits and accessories thrown in.

I've bought everything new from local vendors, it is cheaper and it has a warranty!

Not sure if this was mentioned but and a little off topic as far as gun shows but alot of the used Guns in dealers shops are on consignment and so not only are the owners looking to hit a hpme run on the price there selling it for but you factor in the dealer wants to make at least 10% profit so the price goes up even further.

Its worse than that: not sure bout every state but dealers here in FL charge sales tax on consignment sales too.

My friend John just sold a 32 cal pistol on consignment. He wanted $300 for the gun, which was right at market. Dealer sold the gun for $300, but also covered the sales tax for the buyer from John's proceeds and then he took $100 commission. John netted $179 on his gun. Smart people are using local online guntrader type platforms now.

If you are just buying a gun, shows are not the best place to find deals anymore. This includes components and accessories as well. By the time you pay $20 for parking, $20 for admittance, you are out $40 before you purchase anything. If, on the other hand you are looking for trades, shows can be a great place to trade with other attendees.

The online gun selling / trading applications such as Gun Broker, Auction Arms and Guns America have replaced the gun show as a good place to buy and sell.

Everbody is basing there guns prices to Morphys Auction in Denver,Pa, As being an employee of Morphys for several years. There is a live auction going onright now,Things
are out line Check out the site and watch the auction bid,but please be seated cause you wont believe the prices!!!!!!

If I feel the need for abuse, instead of taking in a gun show, I'll buy some groceries and use the self checkout lane.
I am 61 and have never liked gun shows.

I live in NE Wi.near the UP border.I attend lots of small gunshows.Deals can be had if you look hard enough.I have noticed prices are dropping in order to actually sell guns rather then haul them home.Up here gun shows are a social event where you can meet with old friends and chat.The food is usually pretty good and reasonable in price.The larger Gun shows down state are the same ol same ol and are boring with over priced admission and prices on everything.Not worth the time to bother going to.Huntz

I cant believe how many of you poor guys have to pay for parking. And 20 bucks to get in? Good grief I am glad I dont live where you guys do. Gunbroker changed gunshows forever, theres no doubt, but I still find deals on a regular basis, guns, scopes, bullets.

GunBroker (or other digital alternatives) internet based sites for gun sales doomed gun shows as far as I am concerned. The promoters of charge to get in (aka admission). I can browse Gun Broker from my home anytime for the internet access fees which I use daily. Only one has been remotely close to home, others are from 80 to 120 miles away.

The last couple gun shows I have been to have been a complete disappointment with the one I was at today to be included. Whatever happend to being able to get a used gun for a decent price? I feel like people are way too attached to their stuff. There wasn't a single gun or optic worth buying in the whole place that I could go buy cheaper, and new off the rack at any retail store. Anyways, rant over. Maybe it's just a trend in the the northwest. I have to go to one every couple years to be reminded how disappointing they can be.

Agreed. The last few I have been to have been a complete disappointment too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.