What happened to gun shows?

I go to certain gun shows here in N.C. but not all of them. There is a local one here that goes on a 5 city circuit, continuously. Same vendors, same guns, same prices. I've never bought a firearm at any gun show. Usually, like others have stated, they want too much for them and are not what I'm interested in. I don't care for black rifles (and 1000's of accessories to go with 'em), 6.5 CM's, cheap scopes and knives and just junk in general. So I blow right through a gun show to find what I want if anything.

I'm always prowling for deals on powder, bullets, primers and brass (not necessarily in that order). The bigger shows seem to have lots more to offer for reloading components and great deals can be had. This year, at the "big" gun show, I bought 6 1lb bottles of RL-26 ($20ea/same lot), two boxes of bullets ($30ea Berger/Lapua) and a 1000 CCI BR2's ($50) for just under $250.00 out the door. There's no way I could have visited enough gun shops in a day or surfed the internet long enough to get those deals! Especially on the powder with its normal Haz(your money)Mat charges! I find most vendors will work with you on pricing when you buy a little more. If I had had $500 to spare, I would have bought more.

Normally, there are no "long range", heavy barrelled rifles here locally, if there is it's a Sendero at $12-1500.00. Not running down Sendero's or Remington's, IMO those rifles are not worth that kind of money, even with the "highly touted and praised" 5R barrel. I can get those cheaper at a gun shop, used, AND usually get the previous owners name/number so I can talk with him about the rifle. How he used (or abused) it, what kind/how much ammo's been through it, what kind of hunting or shooting he did and usually get a story or two during the conversation. I like to talk to the previous owner's. It "set's the stage" for my plans with the rifle and what direction I head off in as far as reloading for it. In my experience(s), most of the previous owners didn't shoot the rifle a lot and say "It was too dang heavy and long and never used it!". I figure once the newness wears off it gets displaced or replaced by a sporter weight barrelled rifle. Lucky me.

Alright, that's my windy thoughts/feelings on gun shows in general.

P.S. Last year, at same gun show, I bought 100 pcs of virgin, Norma .300RUM brass for $107!

JonnyK,

I also live in NC and find what you say to be true. Hard to get a good deal on a rifle at a gun show now a days. Also hard to find a LR rifles at local gun shops, and hard to find powder or at least newer powders and magnum powders at gun shops. Even local distributers don't seem to stock the latest greatest powders. But there is a chance of finding reloading supplies at gun shows at least and that's about the only reason I have for going to gun shows any more. The parking and crowds are a turn off. I also fly through them mostly just looking for a vender selling reloading supplies. I can't really afford to collect guns so the old one's don't interest me though a garand or M14 occasionaly catch my eye as I always thought highly of those rifles and just never got into the AR thing, which seems to dominate gun shows now a days. But I've never seen a really affordable M14 and the garands have got pricy too so I sometimes look and appreciate but from a distance.

Eh... I haven't been able to find many deals at the last few I've been to. Things I usually find are:
  • $450 mosins
  • Overpriced AR kits
  • Chinese AR parts
  • Beef jerky
  • Toy helicopters
  • Fake Nazi stuff
  • Tactical vests
  • Tactical cell phone tasers
  • Toy cars
  • Knives
  • Swords
  • Throwing stars
  • Backpacks
  • Ammo cans
  • Tons of UTG crap
  • A box of screws
  • A sporterized Mosin for $800
  • Powder at $45 a pound
  • More fake-WWII stuff
  • Bad hot dogs
  • Surplus M2 ball for $1.20 a round
  • Bricks of .22lr for $55
  • Prepper stuff
  • Cases for guns
  • A crate of overpriced mosins
  • 8,000 Navy SEALs who personally shot Bin Laden
  • Pattons M1
  • A crappy GI 1911 that is rusted shut for $5,000
  • Beef jerky (again)
  • Protein supplements
  • 26 lb AR-15s that come equipped with tactical Magic Bullet BlenderTM
  • A table with a gun you actually want, but can't buy because the dude who runs it is at lunch and his wife says he will be back in "just minute" after you've already waited half an hour
  • Police crap
  • SWAT wannabees
  • Some guy selling reflective spray crap to put on your license plate so you won't get caught by a speed camera
  • Mag loaders because loading an AR magazine 1 round at a time is unacceptable
  • Chicom SKS for $550
  • Bin 'o parts (random bolts and a rusted to hell Arisaka receiver)
  • Holsters
  • Holsters
  • Holsters
  • Some girl standing next to the table of camo shirts
  • Political stickers
  • NRA booth
  • Anti-Obama hats
  • Taser booth that keeps making all that dang noise
  • People who say that Sig you just bought is absolute crap because its not a 1911
  • Ferimone Pheromone spray for deer and those waskly wabbits
  • Muskets???
  • Fake civil war stuff
  • Girls next to ammo cans
  • Her dad, upset when you yell to her "Nice cans!"
  • Black powder stuff
  • Table with fuses and stuff to make explosives
  • Are those fireworks?
  • *Rule 4 Violation* taser noises again
  • Lock Her Up T-Shirts
  • Slings
  • More overpriced ammo
  • BB guns
  • Paintball crap
  • More fake WWII garbage
  • Coins
  • Old money
  • Bayonets
  • Competitively priced ammo cans
  • Inclement weather gear
  • Tactical things
  • That Barrett you will never afford
  • Dummy ammo
  • Clips clips clips
  • A lost child
  • A frantic baby mamma
  • An unimpressed dad
  • CCW badges
  • 1911 T-shirts
  • A 10/22 that looks like Optimus Prime
  • Old paper money
  • crappy books with no pictures
  • crappy books with some pictures
  • That guy trying to sell you .22lr at $70 for a federal 550 value pack telling you to buy it now because the government is creating an artificial shortage
  • A dvd bashing the Federal Reserve
  • Paper targets that are fairly priced and you actually buy some
  • That gun you thought about buying, but aren't going to buy because you can get it on the internet for $200 cheaper
  • Tactical sunglasses
  • That knife that the man running the table is trying to sell you because "It's the same knife I used when I was in the corps" (stamped - Made in China)
  • Is that table really selling fanny packs?
  • Cowboy stuff
  • WWII stuff
  • WWI stuff
  • Old military helmets
  • New kevlar helmets that your SO would kill you over if you actually bought it
  • Body armor that looks pretty neat
  • Some can of spray stuff to waterproof your phone
  • A guy carrying around a Winchester 69A in pretty decent shape but wants $1500
  • Theres that lost kid again
  • More holsters
  • That nice guy who sold you some clips for you Garand at the last show and cuts you a deal for more since he remembers you, and you both had a nice chat
  • Remote controlled cars
  • 8mm mauser that you used to be able to get for 25 cents a round
  • Cans of X54r for $150 which isn't a horrible deal once you think about it
  • That table of over priced AK's
  • Pickels
  • Machine guns that you want to touch, but theres a sign saying "Do Not Touch!!"
  • The magpul area where all of their tables/shelf things are on wheels
  • Chinese copies of all the magpul stuff
  • Theres that Bersa you were looking for
  • A huge line to get in the bathroom
  • Someone who *Rule 4 Violation* on the floor in the stall
  • No paper towels, after you just washed your hands
  • More Nazi stuff
  • Fairly priced ammo cans, except this time you actually buy one
  • You cave and buy a $50 brick of .22lr because you didn't come all this way and pay $12 for nothing
  • A couple $10 AR magazines because "why not?"
  • More law enforcement junk
  • Some rather unscrupulous looking characters
  • Bow and arrow stuff
  • A dent in your car after you've decided you've *Rule 4 Violation* had enough and this ammo can, mags, and brick of .22lr is actually heavy because your *Rule 4 Violation* is out of shape, so you walk back your car to find a *Rule 4 Violation* dent in the driver side door because the idiot in jeep decided to park in the smallest spot in the entire parking lot, even though there are a ton of open spots 3 cars down
That's it. I'm done. I've seen today's winning post. I'll see the internet tomorrow.

It is not only gun shows.....I also go to several other types of shows and it is the same situation.... IMHO it is a double edge sword . The sellers aren't making very many sales so the prices start in the ozone. Couple that with people shopping on the internet for the convenience & best prices. I know lots of people who go to shows as a "get out of jail card , buy comfort food there & to meet their friends....

The last couple gun shows I have been to have been a complete disappointment with the one I was at today to be included. Whatever happend to being able to get a used gun for a decent price? I feel like people are way too attached to their stuff. There wasn't a single gun or optic worth buying in the whole place that I could go buy cheaper, and new off the rack at any retail store. Anyways, rant over. Maybe it's just a trend in the the northwest. I have to go to one every couple years to be reminded how disappointing they can be.
People like to make a profit and it's the buyers obligation to know what he wants and how much the seller is asking for it. before any purchase of a used firearm assuming that it has been thoroughly examined, a quick look on line via your phone will tell you if the asking price is acceptable or not. If you look on line you will find free apps that will show you prices on your weapon that you are considering, and whether or not the deal is a good one or not. OBTW the gun shows here in South Western Florida now are pretty lame. Not in worth going to. There just isn't any deals out there anymore ,and haven't been in a long time!

Gun shows around here are garbage. Everyone thinks their junk is worth more than retail. Quit going years ago...
Gun shows around here are garbage. Everyone thinks their junk is worth more than retail. Quit going years ago...
like I said the only really true gun show gun show gun show is the wanamaker gun show in tulsa everyone that never went should make effort to go while still can and before they ban gun shows

"It would really be interesting to know the median age of the readers here."

Well, we are all about "music sucks these days" old on up to about "no my forehead is not getting bigger" old, up to and including "keep those bicycles on the street and off my lawn, rotten kids." old. But that's just a rough guide. CWF

People ask high prices for everything. Look at the guys trying to sell their custom "bells and whistles" sniper rifles on an internet forum.

I always say there's an inverse relationship between the level of customization, and resale value.

Ones mans current version of perfection, is another's version of a shitshow.

But when you get to gun shows, Its your job to master the schmooze and find the selling price. cant expect a dealer to do the work for you.

Your not going to find a treasure at a corporate gun store.

I go to the Tanner gun show in Denver several times a year on average. Over the years I've picked up some really good deals, but by and large you have to hunt for them. Many of the rifles can be had cheaper elsewhere, especially if new.

Last couple of gun show purchases were Savage rifles Models 10 and 111) for under $300 out the door, both used. The .243 was to be a donor for a 6.5 CM but I shot it and it will remain a .243 until the barrel goes. (Printed clovers at 100 with the first test load.)

The 111 was a 7mm RM and will become a 6.5 PRC. The barrel is rusted inside and out so not danger it will stay as-is. I figure $300 or so for a match grade stainless barrel.

Not sure if this was mentioned but and a little off topic as far as gun shows but alot of the used Guns in dealers shops are on consignment and so not only are the owners looking to hit a hpme run on the price there selling it for but you factor in the dealer wants to make at least 10% profit so the price goes up even further.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.