What happened to gun shows?

I have always enjoyed going to gun shows. It may be different here in Kansas. Been going to them since the early 60's while in college. Had a FFL and shop for 30 years and set up at several shows a year here in SW Ks. Met many nice people, and some became good friends. At one time we had 8 shows in the area, now there are only two. Times change and so do buyer's preferences. I have never had a problem finding good deals at a show. Yes, there are the hucksters, with their high prices. Just grin and walk on by. if you find something you want and it is close to the price you want to pay, make an offer. Most dealers I know will make a counter offer and you end up splitting the difference. You get your gun and the dealer gets some money. If they won't deal, walk away. One other thing, and I may be lucky, I have never gotten a bad check at a gun show!! I think gun loving people are some of the best!! 2nd the thoughts about the big one in Tulsa, it is amazing!!!!!!
worth the trip isn't tulsa that is

I like walking around at a gun show. I'm in WI. Free parking, $4 to $6 admission.
I often see friends and chat.
Dealers are like used car salesmen. They might pay you $100 under bluebook for your gun. When they sell it, it's $200 over bluebook. Sometimes private individuals will be their selling their guns. Some think everything they had is very valuable. Some times you can dicker for a reasonable price.
I figure all the dealers can set any price they want. I don't have to buy it. I often see the same gun vary several hundred dollars from dealer to dealer.
The guys carrying their gun around often might give you a better deal. Usually it's not something you want but I have bought rifles for their actions that way.
There is always a huge variety of stuff for sale. A lot of junk ( to me).
Our local show is always sold out.

Never been to the Tulsa show (maybe I should remedy that), but have been to several big shows in the northeast multiple times. Going to a show with a thousand tables or more is never a wasted experience IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. Likely more than one day will be required to recover your parking/entry fees even if you leave the show empty-handed. Knowledge is power.

Believe it or not. We have gun shows in CA. They are the same. I looked at a beat to hell rem700 short action for a build. 243 I think it was. Stock was cracked, barrel&action had exterior surface rust, and the bore had not been cleaned in 40 years. Guy wanted $550 for it. Would not budge a penny.
Pretty much the same with the housing market isn't it? It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay... Stop paying and the price may go down, keep buying and the price keeps increasing because everyone just wanted more money and nobody wants to work for it.

Never been to the Tulsa show (maybe I should remedy that), but have been to several big shows in the northeast multiple times. Going to a show with a thousand tables or more is never a wasted experience IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. Likely more than one day will be required to recover your parking/entry fees even if you leave the show empty-handed. Knowledge is power.
mostly it's free parking and only ten dollars to get in at the wanamaker gun show

Last gun show I went to I walked around checking the price of a particular item and every time I made a loop the price went up at the same vendor I had priced before. I just order online now and have it shipped to my FFL. The used stuff they had was way over priced and most of it junk. I save whatever the admission price is.
I do have a LGS that's pretty reasonable and if I price something and go outside the price doesn't go up when I go back in.

The Texas shows were like most have said. Retail plus for bolt guns and high prices on junkers. I used to go for the parts mostly which you could sometimes get fair. Guys that dont smith sometimes dont know the potential of a part, or if you know what goes to and they dont. Particuler gun shows seemed to be better. The Sweetwater one during the rattlesnake roundup was usually the best. The one in Abilene was the same guys all the time. It was funny, id give them a hard time that id seen the same guns four times a year for 3 years. Best deals are the guys walking in or out. Did a lot of deals in the parking lot. Here in Northern Michigan your have to drive a long way to the rare shows. If you want a pistol you have to go the S.O. before you even go to get "permission" to buy one private party and bring your "permission slip" back within 10 days. Lots of lever actions and the Remington 74 and 76 series stuff around.

Heck in my area, S. Texas used guns at the local gunshow fetch more than full retail price!!! Now and then and very slim at that you'll find a decent deal but very rare!

The gun shows here aren't much more than a pawn shop. The venders buy there tables to get first pick at the good deals. They walk the show before it opens buy good deals then mark it up and put it on there tables. Then offer less than half value for a trade that you bring in. I know a couple people who run a show and are always bragging of the deals they find.

I live in FL. Gun shows here are a booming biz. There is a show circuit. Google FL gun shows. 1-2 big shows weekly within driving distance. There are no good deals at the big shows. Its entertainment. Its the movies. If you can find a small local Elks or club show its still somewhat old school.

Everything is overpriced. There are no good deals. 1/2 the tables here are pawn shops. Largest gun dealer in Florida (Shoot Straight) runs a traveling show (Florida Gun Shows) like Barnum and Bailey. Probably has 100 employees or more at each show just for his gun tables. The Tampa show probably has 20,000 ppl a day or more. Its all pistols and ARs. Hundreds of tables. No bolt guns. No hi grade rifles or shotguns. Funniest thing is there will be 5-10 ppl selling hi end glass. NF/SB/US/Votex ext. i needed a NF mount for a project a while back that popped up at the show. While there was probably 2 million dollars or more in hi q glass for sale and none of it you would put on a gas gun, not one vendor had a NF mount or even $20 one or two pc mounts for a rem 700 short action. Not a single action, Remington or anything for sale. People have old guns in 70% condition at exhibition prices.

There is not a thing there new or used a person cannot find cheaper on line or at small gun shops and have in hand in 2-5 days.

I watch local gun trader sights to find bargains.

If I didn't have to be at gun shows, I wouldn't ever go.

What you are seeing is Google/internet killing the "Gun Show". There are few deals to be found because you can not only research every gun, scope, nut, bolt and part, you can also find a dozen places to sell them to people who want whatever you have. Deals used to come from knowing something the seller didn't or the buyer being the bird in hand. Those days are gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.