What else do you hunt???

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I was just wondering what all other types of hunting you guys did beside long range. Do you do archery, blackpowder, waterfowl, etc etc etc

We do a lot of duck and goose hunting around here and a decent amount of dove hunting if it aint to hot.

thanks
steve

I'm not much for things that wear feathers but most all else I hunt or will hunt. I've been archery (stick and modern), black powder, handgun big game and small, small game, big game rifle, varmint and even killed a few critters with thrown rocks and sticks and took a spear out a few times. I've tracked deer down and killed them with a knife and snared a few skunks and racoons. I rode motorcycle for a while so I've also killed a few bugs with a quick bite (or two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and a hasty gulp.

I bowhunt, bowfish, hunt dove, ducks, woodcock, snipe, rails, beavers, deer, hogs, rabbits, squirrel, and jack-a-lopes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Waterfowl, mainly on the Snake River
Deer, elk (still haven't got one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), chuckar, quail, pheasant, rockchucks, ground squirrels, jackrabbits, badgers, coyotes, etc.

I have a traditional style black powder rifle that was given to me by my grandfather that I have yet to take hunting. There are a couple of units in Idaho that allow only traditional muzzleloaders for deer/elk so I really should go shoot something with it. Hell, I might even get a bow - I really want to stick some carp with an arrow.

If it moves I hunt it. But lately I have been hunting coyotes with greyhounds, not as fast as a 22-250 but they act like heat seekers once their turned loose. Pluse their a blast to watch.

That Dave King, he's just born to kill! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have at one time or another hunted in just about thing available in the Northwest in every possible way. As soon as I kill a bull elk with a bow I will have gotton one with everything, a hand gun, shotgun, muzzloader, rifle &amp; long range rifle. I have also shot most shooting competitions available at one time or another, trap, skeet, sporting clays, live bird, tactical shotgun, 3 gun, IPSC pistol, ppc, idpa, bullseye, GSSF, bowling pins, siloutte, fast draw, steel challange, tactical rifle, precision rifle, benchrest, high power, rifle siloutte, F class, sniper matches, and smallbore rifle to name most of them. I am just about shooting. I don't fish, I understand it, it is hunting for fish but that is about as far as I go.

I mostly bow and rifle hunt for anything that'll get close enough deer , hogs , Turkey , feral cats. I do a little bit of varmint hunting but their arn't to many good quanity varmint down here.
I do alot of hog hunting with dogs (live catch) and that is pretty fun much more chalenging to catch one live than bay it up and shoot it..

I used to be a major DEAR and BARE hunter
(dear girls with bare asses)
but since getting married I'm all catch and release now days

I still do some two legged land varmint hunting with the local PD and since the hurricane last year their has been an influx

I hunt pretty much everything there is in Oregon to hunt. I rifle hunt for deer, antelope, elk, black bear, coyotes badgers, fox, squirrels, rock chucks, jack rabbits. I also shoot turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, dove, hungarian partridge, chukars, and grouse. I have also been on a rocky mt ram hunt, which was the #1 record for Oregon, and have also been on a rocky mt goat hunt. I think that pretty much covers it.

Far and away I hunt varmints the most. Generally rock chucks and ground squirrels and occasionally prairie dogs. Used to do alot more but there are some out there that keep pestering me to get their rifles finished, you know who you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Other then that, I also do alot of yote hunting, some limited bird hunting. I generally wait till it gets colder then a witched you know what and then go down and walk the creek behind my house. When it gets this cold, the lakes and rivers freeze up and all the migrating ducks hold up on the small fast moving creeks that stay open. They do not stay long, generally only a week to 10 days at the most but its a hell of alot of fun to get down on the creek and jump shoot some big fat mallards for dinner.

More like pheasant hunting then anything.

As far as how I hunt. Before I got into the Allen Magnum rifles and trying to promote them big game hunting, I was pretty much an exclusive handgun hunter.

My handgun hunting was split up about 50-50 between traditional open sighted revolvers for river bottom hunting and big single shot handguns for open country hunting. For about 12 years I would say 85% of all the game I harvested was with a handgun of some short.

I also get a real kick out of taking a hick through varmint country with an accurate handgun and trying to get as close as I can to gophers to zip them with a 45 ACP or something similiar.

Crawling through the rocks after rockchucks with a handgun is almost as much fun as popping them at 1000 yards. Alot more exciting though, the rattlesnakes can not bite you at 1000 yards!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always have a clip full of snake loads filled with fine shot. Makes a mess of a bit rattles head at 5 feet or so!!!

My latest pistol I am playing with is a 1911 I built up in 400 Corbon. Lots of fun. Pretty accurate and very flat shooting for a 1911. I am shooting the 180 gr XTPs out at 1350 fps. They do alright on vermin!!

I also do a little archery hunting. Used to do more before I started smithing full time. Mainly pronghorn archery hunting. Best way to get in shape I have ever found. Did this for many years and always figured you had to put in about 75 to 100 miles of hicking before you would get your goat if you wanted a good one. I have gained weight since I have not done that for a few years!!!

I guess I will do pretty much any type of hunting if I find time.

Now adays I often find myself punching steel or paper much more then critters. Maybe getting soft!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Unlike Dave K., who probably learned to walk by stomping crickets and ants, I have never been able to pull the trigger on critters - much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Some of my most interesting hunting was done from Hughes 500 and Bell 206 choppers - you have to be in the right line of work to do that. Moose, elk, wolves, bears and lots of deer - the shooting was very challenging. Recall one "strafing-run" were nine deer died in about six seconds. Two moose in less than a minute. Spotted a huge timber wolf that needed killing. Spotter warden got all excited as we made a big arc, dropping down on him. Pilot and I did a lot of shooting together, spotter did not know that. Just as we got down to the deck the pilot had put me into perfect firing position for my old 870. BOOM, and he immediately starts to land the chopper. Spotter gets all crazy, says why the hell are you landing, let's go get that wolf!!! Pilot looks at him, says, "Wolf's dead...". Really great line, had to be there to enjoy it, pilot did not talk much to guys he did not know. Spotter was somewhat impressed, whole deal took about half a minute. Big black, weighed 145 pounds. Did a lot of ground stuff also, remember one dep job, 19 deer with 19 shots one evening. One big deer study required a 100 deer sample, I shot 82. Used to fly into small villages with bear problems, shoot a bunch of bears, get data, go home. Also did some depopulation jobs in some big parks, just too many bears at the dumps, someone was going to get hurt. One way to fix that, the .338 treatment. Those were the good old days, we called it work.
Now I enjoy shooting steel at distances where you cannot see the plates with naked eyes, stuff like that. Really enjoy introducting guys to long range, but too busy to do my LR classes much although hope to do some this summer. Right now I am doing shooting seminars across the U.S., teaching sales folk how to shoot to the potential of some really nice scoped rifles. We have steel deer targets, the lungs and heart areas are cutout and on hinges. Hit and they swing 90 degrees, then return to position. Attendees are hitting the heart and lungs at 250 with muzzleloaders, 600 with rifles. Lots of fun.

Since I live in southwest Missouri, my menu of big critters is limited. I bowhunt (like a maniac) for whitetails and also rifle hunt for them with my trusty Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag on my hip as well as black powder hunting. I've taken 17 whitetails with my bow, 7 or 8 with black powder, 2 with the .41 and 30 or more with rifle.
I have been fortunate enough to take 2 javelina, 2 badgers and 2 mulies with a bow and one with black powder, as well as 2 elk, 4 antelope and 2 Russian boar with rifle.
Bowhunting is my main passion (since I can do it for 3 1/2 months straight) followed closely by elk hunting. I am going to Colorado this fall armed with my first bull tag and my semicustom 338RUM (which will be ready to shoot soon--I'll post pics and details).
Springtime will find me out turkey hunting in MO, AR or KS. I'm hooked on spring turkeys! I've never killed a deer with a shotgun slug, but I got a rifled barrel for the Mossberg this spring so that may change this fall.

Used to do a lot of bird hunting but haven't in many years now. I guess I just got burned out on it.

My favorite is actually stalking deer and hogs in the thick woods. Nothing seems to be more of a challenge. I have gotten close enough to almost poke a deer in the rump with my little Ruger compact, and taken hogs just about at my feet. It is definately a rush to say the least. The deer really don't have anything to worry about. It would take something really impressive for me to drop on now days. Now the hogs, well they are on the SOS,(shoot on site) list everywhere I go, so it just depends on how fast I am on the trigger as to how many get away.

Now that I have a couple of new toys, to play with, they are in for more trouble.

ANd when I can't make it to the country, sometimes we slip down to the surf and see if we can rustle up a few of these,
P5260002.jpg

P5260004.jpg

Pretty interesting so far.

DO much of you guys do any fishing??? I love catfishing on the local rivers. A campfire and a cold beer at night on the beach with a some cut shad drifting in the current is hard to beat.

In summer when it gets real hot we go handfishing for flat head cat fish. That is where you swim down into the holes the cat's live in, either grab them by the mouth or get them to bit your hand, and drag there butts out and on to the shore!!!

It can get pretty hairy some times but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts