What else do you hunt???

Fishing! Fishing! I don't do no stink'n fishing!

or as Shawn Carlock said "I am just about shooting. I don't fish, I understand it, it is hunting for fish but that is about as far as I go."

I enjoyed the water in my early years but now I don't have much time for it, I drink it (I believe they put it in beer?), I bath with it and if it's raining when I'm hunting I get wet but I don't enjoy frolicking in it. I don't go to the beach, I don't fish and I don't care to get on a ship or boat, I'm not afraid of the water (I swim well and am SCUBA qualified) it's just that it does nothing for me (I've seen plenty/most of it). When folks pester me about my views on water activities I tell them "When I was in the Navy I made a deal with the sharks (and I swam with a few of them): I'll stay out of the water if they'll stay off the land, and so far the sharks have kept to their part of the bargain."

[ QUOTE ]

In summer when it gets real hot we go <font color="blue"> handfishing</font> for flat head cat fish. That is where you swim down into the holes the cat's live in, either grab them by the mouth or get them to bit your hand, and drag there butts out and on to the shore!!!

It can get pretty hairy some times but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

We got another name for that sort of fishin around here, but I like ya too much to use it. LOL We got too many gators for that sort of fun in the areas we hang out in. Sometimes they like to uses those same tactics. LOL Course I do have a few friends who push the limits on the fishing as well. Here is a link to one of them's site, and a few of the short videos he has put together, Enjoy.

Extreme Coast International Multi Media &amp; Videos

My favorite thing to do is go bowhunting in September or early October and about 10:00 or so go back to the truck and change into some shorts and a t-shirt and pull out a K-mart $19.00 raft and my ultralite spinning gear and go float down the Potomac catching smallmouths. When I have floated through the deep hole (about 1.5 miles down river) where the big ones are I pull over to shore and put everything into a back pack and hike back to the truck and change back into my cammies. The smell of fish really confuses the deer. Sometimes the fish are biting so well I am a little late for the evening hunt.

Speaking of little sharks from the surf, this one was from Rehoboth while it was still light enough to take a picture.

410224.JPG

Hey Steve,

Most of those folks are from the Corpus area, but some are from the San Antonio and Austin areas as well. We are spread out all over , but we get together on the coast to try our luck out.

Heck some of the baits we put out are bigger than some fish folks have ever caught. Nothing like the sound of a big rig singing in the night air. Sometimes it gives ya goose bumps. LOL Once you get above a Penn 4/0 they have a very distinctive sound, and really get your adrinalin pumping when they are going out wide open.

As for the deal with the sharks staying in the water and us on land, well I figure that living here in such close proxcimity of a big city like Houston, I will more than likly get killed on the road than be eaten by a shark, so the sharks, well thats just part of being out there enyoying nature. Sort of like the alligators and snakes. They are always there, you respect them and hope they do the same.

Mike / Tx

I don't have a problem with sharks I just don't enjoy things water related anymore... I've caught Musky in Wisconsin bare handed (a little one) and caught about a gazillion Northern Pike and bass, snorkeled with the barracuda and iguana in Gitmo, caught snapper blues on light tackle in New London, Ct., swam with manta rays in Diego Garcia and sharks and whatever in the Med, Tongue Of The Ocean (TOTO), Pendleton. I least enjoyed the days long surface ride in a typhoon on my way to Kamchatka (needed a yard period on our return) and just behind that 5/E ticket ride was a ride through an Atlantic hurricane on another "surface" ship. I sort of enjoy the ocean and it's wonderous states as there is far more to see and wonder at than when it's being lazy and flat (all to look forward to then is sunrise and sunset and maybe a green flash). I use the shark "bargain" to give folks something to hold on to as most just can't seem to believe I don't enjoy the water any more. I used to give them the retired sailor thing I heard "When I retire I'm gonna go to the beach with a case of beer, a sack of rocks and a lawn chair. I'm gonna sit on the beach, drink beer and every time an ocean wave comes in I'm gonna throw rocks at it until it goes back out!"

Me and the wife drove down to Port Aranasas a couple of years ago, nice place. Had I known there were sharks like that swimmin around I wouldnt have been splashing around like a idiot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gotta love the fresh shrimp and cold Corona's down there!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta love the fresh shrimp and cold Corona's down there!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you drinkin' that trash beer for?? Get yourself a real Mexican beer and drink a Tecate, Dos Equis or Negra Modelo!!!

´When I have time I also do some small game hunting (both feather and fur); best of all is snipe hunting in the woods.

Used to do some fishing and spear gun fishing before, not any more though.

Most intense hunting was falconry, used to hunt with goshawks. I was able to keep it up after getting married but when kids came, I was too short of time and had to leave that for when I´m really old and have nothing to do ¡¡

Here´s a pic on a seagull
PICT0131.jpg

Love to fish the Lake Michigan waters.
PICT0001.jpg

Last weekend I was in Ontario fishing Northern Pike and Walleye. We landed 3 Pike over 40" and a 37 1/2"er in the first five minutes, we also limited out plus released more walleye on the first two nights.

Here in Northern Virginia, I get out to hunt whitetail deer, sitka deer on the Eastern Shore, and elk (yes, we have an elk herd on southwestern VA, regulated just like whitetail), rabbit, squirrel, coyote, duck &amp; geese when I can, snipe &amp; rail (a marsh bird somewhat native to this area) and whatever else I can with a rifle, pistol &amp; shotgun.

I also do alot of spearfishing, all free diving. Going to get some spadefish, black drum, cobias and maybe AJs down on the Eastern Shore this weekend.

By the way, if there's anyone out there who can put me on some pheasant and ducks in South Dakota this November, drop me a line at [email protected].

-WW

I mainly shoot Wallabies and Kangeroos, for LR i use a .308, for walking i use a shotgun or .22lr and for spotlighting on farms i use a .22Mag and 12ga.
Other than that i hunt rabbits, feral cats, Fallow deer, few diffrenct species of ducks (I usally head shoot them with a rifle so i don't break my teeth on pellets.) and, especially during summer, i shoot alot of crows, mainly at LR with .308 but sometimes if theres alot around (lambing season) i'll make a hide out of tree branchs, scatter some dead bodies around and wait inside with a crow call, my 12ga and a few boxes of #4 shells, great fun. Thats pretty much there extent of game here in my state.

I used to shoot IHMSSA(?) but found it boring after a couple of months. I'd Really like to get into IPSC but it looks like it's days may be numbered here, and i'd hate to shell out $1500+ and 6months getting the licence, just to have to hand my guns in in a years time.

I only fish when i'm camping (Ever fish with HE? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and then it's ussally just setting a few deadlines and cheacking them when i return from hunting. The only fish in the rivers here are brown and sometimes rainbow trout and black fish. Sometimes i go out after lobsters which is fun and provides a great feed.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.