What do you hunt with?

Gade91

you guys use? I am just starting out and i just wanna get some insight on what kinda gun, clothes, and gear to bring.

Whatever works best for you :) I have hunted hogs with bows, knives, dogs, 30-30, 45./70, 7-08, 7 mag, 257Wby, 300 Win, 300 RUM, and 338 LM. Just make sure you are shooting a good strong bullet or broadhead. Most of my kills have been at night using solar lights and motion activated light under feeder or Hog pipe.

Alot of good infrmaiton @ wildhog hunters

In an attempt to keep my sanity (lol) I break my "hunting stuff" down into categories. For instance.....there's the clothes---figure out what you need there.
Then there's the footwear-----what kind of boots do you need?

Then, tool of choice.....bow, rifle, shotgun, etc....

Scent control if needed?
ammunition....
packing equipment---backpack, pack frame, etc...
reloading----equipment, supplies

The reason that I broke it all down to you is to show you how I try to organize my stuff so that I know what to buy, take with me, or stock up on. With wondering "what to get" like you are, I'd break it down and work on one area at a time.

got ya. Scent control is a must since hogs have a great since of smell. Their eye sight is not so good but they can detect movement. Smell is the hogs #1 defense.

1. Scent elimination like you are hunting deer
  2. Any camo will do
  3. I have a Hog box that has the following (Gutting gloves, dead sled, gimble with pulley system, butcher knives, paper towels, water source, first aid kit)
  4. Always take a pack to haul all the "must have" hunting gears (Binos, range finder, night vision, snacks, extra knives, flash lights, first aid kit, etc)

the gear all depends on what and where you plan on hunting.

what and where are you planing on going?

Thanks guys. Im in california so they are plentiful, but you still got to find them. How close up do you get up to them? do you stalk or sit and wait?

Where I am, I don't have as many hogs to hunt as some other guys on here, so I can't speak from a great deal of experience.....but:

if you have decent visibility, I'd spot and stalk, if I were you.

Where I am, it's almost all heavily forested with the occasional clearing or powerline right of way. So people use dogs or bait em.

If you can catch them out in the open, it doesn't matter what you wear. Just hit the gas, powerslide into them, stick the gun out the window and get that trigger finger moving!!!

comm1b.JPG

Heck you don't even need long pants if you're not going to be out of the truck too long.

groupb.JPG

Haven't hunted them for 25 years, but when I did it was an old 30-30 Winchester 94. It did fine. Most were killed at under 20 yards in the thick stuff. If I were to go again, I would use my R-25 Remington(AR10 style) in 7mm-08.

How far can you see at night with that scope. I have a DPMS in a 223. How much does a rig like that cost if you don't mind me asking? Are you shooting for fun or do you get paid to thin the herd? Great shooting!!

It's only a 4 power scope, but if there is anything close to a full moon overhead or at my back, I can see over a mile. I may not be able to recognize what I'm looking at until I get closer, but I can tell something's there. 6 power models are available, but I like the wider field of view offered by the 4 power for finding them after they start running. I got mine from JagerPro, but there are lots of resellers now. A high end scope in this brand will cost over four thousand.

I've been offered money to kill hogs, but I wouldn't feel right about taking money and then not being there on a particular night when hogs happen to do a lot of damage. I'm just glad I have places to hunt where I don't to pay!

My camera doesn't auto focus through the scope very well at night, but I assure you the deer I saw in the pic below were very clear.

deera.JPG

Black hogs stand out even better.

nvhogs2.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.