IF you had a 6.5 Grendel what Hammer bullet?

coop2564

For hogs? The hogs have gotten completely out of hand. I killed several during turkey season. But I have setup a feeder just for hogs and 30-40 are coming in evening. I have BCA 6.5G with lighted rect and a green LED light, that's good to about 200yds on it. Thinking of going lighter copper bullet for higher speeds. What would you use?

Not the same caliber, but have logged hundreds of hours thermal hunting with 7.62x39 123g Wolf HP. Piled trailers full of hogs and yotes with it and acquaintance used a 16" 6.5 Grendel with just about anything he could find cheap off the shelf Wolf and laid them out too(if memory serves he used a 100g Wolf HP). I can't recall his MV and energy, but it was north of what I was shooting by quite a large margin.

Our typical walk and stalk was inside 50 yards, but we both put them down in the low 200 yard range too on runners when the sounder was blown up. I think you are good with most anything you want to sling, but obviously shot placement is always king. This was my longest thermal kill was 220-ish we walked it off in the dark from the truck after. Was hilarious last straggler of a sounder wouldn't stop and I let out my best doe bleat 'maaaaaaa' and for some reason stopped dead...literally👇. Forgot how long ago this was pre-suppressor days.

IMG_6187.JPG

Last edited:
I think the Grendel is possibly the best AR 15 platform round. I love it. It's got enough punch to be effective on anything ip to Black Bear.

Pigs don't like being shot in the neck. Any hammer you choose will kill them DRT.

I'm also looking for hammer recipes. I have 100 and 123 gr, but thinking I'll save the 123's for the PRC or the 260.

All depends on what twist rate your barrel is.

Hammer website gives minimum twist rates for each of their hammer bullets.

I'm running 1/8 twist out of a 20" barrel; and for my rifle it's the 97g absolute and the 99g hunter. Both under 1 moa. Both very effective!

You should be ok with a grendel, but check your manufacturer for twist rate. And try the sample packs from Hammer to work up your load.

All depends on what twist rate your barrel is.

Hammer website gives minimum twist rates for each of their hammer bullets.

I'm running 1/8 twist out of a 20" barrel; and for my rifle it's the 97g absolute and the 99g hunter. Both under 1 moa. Both very effective!

You should be ok with a grendel, but check your manufacturer for twist rate. And try the sample packs from Hammer to work up your load.
8 twist