6.5 Grendel upper

trueblue

Awhile back I posted a thread about whether a 223 is enough gun for hogs. From the information given on that thread I have decided to look into going up in caliber.
I have looked at the 300 blackout, 7.62x39, but I think I want to go with a 6.5 Grendel with a 20 barrel 8 twist in order to shoot the 130-140 gr Bullets.
I have a Rock River Predator Pursuit in 223 Wilde, and I assume I could just switch out the upper to a 6.5 Grendel, but they do not offer that from Rock River. They only carry the 6.8 which I have not researched yet.
So, who sells( who would you buy from) uppers that would interchange with my current set up,
and how would you set it up for hog hunting? What hand rail, barrel, etc?
Also, if I chose to buy a complete AR rifle in 6.5 Grendel who and what would you buy for a hog setup.?

I turned down a bartlien small shank savage barrel,and put it on a matched set aero upper and lower. I went 18 inches on the barrel to keep it light and short for a can. This is my dedicated hog gun so my thermal stays on it. The 123 sst bullets anchor pigs.

130gr might be the upper end you'd want to use with a grendel if you step into the 140s you'll get better terminal performance out of a 120gr bullet due to ft.lbf at point of impact.

130gr might be the upper end you'd want to use with a grendel if you step into the 140s you'll get better terminal performance out of a 120gr bullet due to ft.lbf at point of impact.
Zen,
Are you saying the 120's outperform the 140,s?
If so, the 1:9 x would be enough twist, correct?

Alexander arms makes a 7.5 twist.

The grendal was designed around the 120gr bullets. A 9 twist will stabilize the 120 class bullets even at sea level. If you want to run the 140s you will need a 8 twist or faster.

I've put 6.5 bullets in pigs with 140gr a max at 2700 fps mv and 140 Berger Vld-H at 3150fps mv. Both worked well even with impact velocitys as low as 2200fps.

JSE Surplus and AR15Part.com will have uppers that you're looking for. I own one from each company and they are nice. I hunt hogs with a 6.5 Grendel and Thermal scope on the golf course that I belong to. The 123 gr Hornady SST has either dropped a hog in it's tracks or it didn't go very far. I have found a good load for my reloads using the same bullet, but I can't achieve Hornady's factory ammo velocity. I have a lot of the factory ammo, so I haven't switched to my reloads yet

joeboboutdoors.com is running a sale right now on Radical Firearms complete 6.5 Grendel uppers for $539.95 These are really good according to those who have got them. I would suggest you stay away from Bear Creek Arsenal uppers. They are a crap shoot as to getting one that will shoot better than 1 1/2" at best.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.