what dies for my first custom rifle

fisherman983

having a rifle being built, just curious if I should upgrade my dies as well. rifle will be a 264 win mag. as of right now I already have a set of rcbs dies and a set of hornady dies. just curious if I should stay with what I got or look for something better.

having a rifle being built, just curious if I should upgrade my dies as well. rifle will be a 264 win mag. as of right now I already have a set of rcbs dies and a set of hornady dies. just curious if I should stay with what I got or look for something better.

I'd stick with the Hornady's. The Hornady seater is really pretty darn good, especially for the price. Set the sizer to bump your shoulder .001" after your brass is fireformed. You may also try the RCBS sizer if your Hornady's are giving you too much neck tension. I doubt you'll have a problem though.

Many guys will tell you to get a bushing sizing die, but if you're not turning your necks you're better off with what you already have.

Ask your gunsmith to make you a "widget" with the reamer and a piece of barrel. It will help you set your FL die to only bump the shoulder .002". I always include one with the barrel job, especially if it is a magnum case.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.