What custom barrel for 338 lapua

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by leadpillproductions, May 25, 2010.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. leadpillproductions

leadpillproductions Active Member

Looking to put a custom barrel on my sako m995 338 lapua it has a 24 inch barrel , i shoot 225 grain ttsx's loaded with 92 gr rl 25 215m primmers 3012 fps . What do you guys think i should go with im thinking of a 26 inch barrel in a pac-nor , but i like the idea of a carbon fiber one.

2. 300R

300R Well-Known Member

I would say if you want to stay with the 225's and use the rifle as a walk around 26" will do you well.There are lots of great barrel makers around so take your pick, pac-nor are one of them,i have a Lilja on my 338 and can't be happier.good luck.

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

any of the good barrel makers are just that, good. as a side note, you might try a quicker powder for the 225's. rl25 is a tad too slow in my opinion. it'll work well with the 300's and even the 250's but a quicker powder is needed when you go any lighter. that's been my experience with my 2 edge guns.

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver Official LRH Sponsor

The Pac Nor super match barrels are good barrels but I would probably lean toward a Lilja, Krieger or Hart simply because I use so many of these barrels and they always come through with flying colors. I probably use Lilja barrels on 80% of my 338 caliber rifles for customers and simply put, they all shoot and shoot ---- well if installed correctly.

It really comes down to installation, have it put on right and any barrel from the top barrel makers will give you what you want.

I prefer the 225 gr Accubond over the TTSX just because it seems to have more reliable terminal performance over a wider range of impact velocity then the barnes bullets. That said, if the rifle like the barnes, by all means.