What constitutes “long range hunting”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some are men and some are just male!
Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko was a Soviet sniper credited with 309 kills!
It does not make a man to pull the trigger!
But that's my opinion! That and $2 might get you a coke at th

What is long range shooting and extreme long range shooting I believe has been established by the compettive sports.
Long range hunting on the other hunt I think it is subjective.
If I am hunting in FLAT west texas for antelope....it can be one range
If I am hunting in Colorado..it can be a different range..
Then again, if I am on one hill side, and the game is on the other...with very clear view of surroundings..could be a third...
How I decide, is not the ability to shoot at that range, but whether I can find the wounded annimal in case not everything goes right.
That is MY Subjective Opinion/Decision Process, applied to ME!
you decide yours!
I absolutely LOVE your subjective Opinion/Decision. It makes the most sense of just about anything that I have read here. :)

Well I'm not quite sure why all of the dissonance here??? Trying to be nice about this despite all of the negative as well as adverse comments seems like while I am simply pointing out the ballistic facts of life. I am not challenging your manhood nor the fact that you actually pulled of a miraculous shot and did a one shot wonder at an extreme range. The video provided only showed to me that some people were extremely lucky or the shots shown were not the first shot taken. Animals shot at, at long distances do not react to the sound of a shot or bullet hitting nearby since they have no idea where it came from or which way to run, thus they often stand still. I also noted that there were many shots taken at lesser ranges, heaven forbid down to the 300 yard range which I heartily approve of. Heck even out to 500 yards is pretty much OK in my book if out in the open and you have doped out the shot prior to taking it. In other words know what your rifle will do at that range and adjust accordingly. Don't get me wrong, if you indeed pull of a 1350 yard first round hit in the mountains I will be the first to buy you a beer at the local saloon. Gentlemen, and I assume that all of you are actually Gentlemen keep in mind that I have been at this game longer than probably than all but a few of you have even been alive. That is not to belittle you, it's simply a statement of fact. Sometime it pays to listen to your elders since they have been there and tried that long before you were born. We simply don't want you to try to reinvent the wheel. With that said, I am going to go downstairs in my hacienda and pour myself a tall glass of nice cold, Vodka and diet Pepsi and sit back and listen and read the comments to this post. 🥰 Love ya All,

Long range means very different things to those shooting a muzzleloader, a 308, and a 338 Edge. Yet the basics of shooting long range apply even if the yardage is different.

One can see I've been a member here for a very long time. I originally joined to learn and apply the concepts of long range shooting and hunting to BP sub muzzleloader shooting to 400 yards -- which many though was crazy but I mastered it. I then applied to smokeless powder muzzleloading to 500 yards. Transitioning to centerfire to 800-1000 yards was actually easier.

There are quite a few not on this site much anymore.Or moved on.This is a long range hunting site and many on here have been doing it a long time.Many still here are basically professionals.20 years ago many where shooting game at long range.Look up Dan Lilga. My son and I regular first round hits at 5-600.He was doing that at 14,hes 6 year Marine trained and swat,I taught him to shoot.I shot at state level in many things.Tom M on here once in while find him at AS,has shot around 10 world records,one in 2000 bench.He and his buds shoot speed goats at 1000.Some people on here dont get the talent of folks.Alex W. another shooter,to many to mention.Russo too

Lort. There is no absolute definitive definition of long range. It is subjective to the indian behind the arrow.
So very true, but here is a blast from the past dating back before I was a twinkle in my Daddy's eye until more modern times. Interesting reading.

So very true, but here is a blast from the past dating back before I was a twinkle in my Daddy's eye until more modern times. Interesting reading.

What would Jack O'Connor say about long-range? 🤔 I know! he'd say; ask Elmer Keith 😂 ;) I just had to throw that one in. Cheers

Long range means very different things to those shooting a muzzleloader, a 308, and a 338 Edge. Yet the basics of shooting long range apply even if the yardage is different.

One can see I've been a member here for a very long time. I originally joined to learn and apply the concepts of long range shooting and hunting to BP sub muzzleloader shooting to 400 yards -- which many though was crazy but I mastered it. I then applied to smokeless powder muzzleloading to 500 yards. Transitioning to centerfire to 800-1000 yards was actually easier.
Excellent reply. I shot a doe at 125yds freehand standing while side hilling. Muzzleloader. I felt like Hawkeye! (Last of the Mohicans)

Myself and my buddies grew up with Jack O'Connor, reading every book and article we could lay our hands on. I suspect that he could have been much closer to one of us LR hunters then we might think….. were he exposed to the same progress and evolution of the technology. In his day, his was somewhat of a black sheep, adopting his favorite 270 Winchester cartridge using 130gr bullets at the highest velocity he could squeeze out of it. His articles frequently justified/promoted his use of high velocity/smaller projectiles to the larger caliber/lower velocity, traditionalist crowd. He was well practiced and prepared for the 300 yard shot which back then was considered far for a high certainty shot considering firearm/optics technology, bullet design, and the lack of precise ranging/atmospherics equipment. Who's to say that 300 yards back then(60's) isn't the equivalent of 700 yards today. Skill was(is) required in either case. Having also been a bow hunter and muzzleloader hunter, I don't buy the stalking skill dramatization. You choose and adapt how you deploy your skills be it shooting, stalking, or both. I stalk close enough to take a skilled and confident shot with the equipment I'm using, and use a similar strategy for choosing a stand/hide. We never know for sure, but it's quite possible Jack O'Connor did the same in his day. He was a "Rifleman".
' IMO.

Last edited:
Myself and my buddies grew up with Jack O'Connor, reading every book and article we could lay our hands on. I suspect that he could have been much closer to one of us LR hunters then we might think….. were he exposed to the same progress and evolution of the technology. In his day, his was somewhat of a black sheep, adopting his favorite 270 Winchester cartridge using 130gr bullets at the highest velocity he could squeeze out of it. His articles frequently justified/promoted his use of high velocity/smaller projectiles to the larger caliber/lower velocity, traditionalist crowd. He was well practiced and prepared for the 300 yard shot which back then was considered far for a high certainty shot considering firearm/optics technology, bullet design, and the lack of precise ranging/atmospherics equipment. Who's to say that 300 yards back then(60's) isn't the equivalent of 700 yards today. Skill was(is) required in either case. Having also been a bow hunter and muzzleloader hunter, I don't buy the stalking skill dramatization. You choose and adapt how you deploy your skills be it shooting, stalking, or both. I stalk close enough to take a skilled and confident shot with the equipment I'm using, and use a similar strategy for choosing a stand/hide. We never know for sure, but it's quite possible Jack O'Connor did the same in his day. He was a "Rifleman".
' IMO.
Very well said!

I concur

Attachments

• DDB9B3D8-37AD-4286-939D-64527F15E812.jpeg
    DDB9B3D8-37AD-4286-939D-64527F15E812.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
I look at LR being the sum of your ability as a marksman with your firearm and associated equipment/gear. What is LR without dial up scopes, rangefinders, Kestrels and ballistic Apps? Not seeing the whites of the eyes?

Long range starts at 600yds. By NRA standards and that really when BC and all the other stuff start to come into play. For moderate distances like as stated BC barrel length, and even cartridge selection dont make much difference. Good ol flat base bullets and 308's are just as good as any of the new cartridges at those distances.

I agree with this. LR=600>. ELR = 1k>

Individual skill level varies and although 100 yards is a long shot to them, doesn't mean it constitutes LR shooting.

. I hear a lot of people bragging about their magnificent shots when trying to execute animals at long range, but my question is, How many of those magnificent shots were first round hits at those ranges? Can anybody here actually claim to have a one shot kill at any range beyond 500 yards? If so please let me know and fill me in on the circumstances. As once said in a nationwide news rag, "Inquiring minds want to know." :oops:
Maybe been covered by others. I have EXECUTED quite a few ANIMALS BEYOND 500 YARDS. First real long one I was under under 16 so I got dropped off by my dad in the morning. Forked horn muley was half way to the second fence line (1/4 mile pastures) Mauser 98, 06, 125gr Core Lokt. Ran about 20 yards fell over dead. Spike Elk 521yds, 25 degree decline, 300RUM 180AB at 3400, 4 steps and dead. Antelope Doe 800yds exact. Saw her and moved back until I got to my max yardage. 300RUM, 180BT at 3400, no steps and dead. I have told my kids and nephews you have to really want to be a killer to not capitalize on opportunities. Now I have a new verb to go with my noun. Hello soon I will have a full sentence of encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.